Poissons equation for plasma

• Thread starter peterjaybee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary, the conversation is about solving Poisson's equation in relation to a plasma made up of electrons and protons. The solution is given as phi(r) = (e/4pi*epsilon_0*r)exp(-sqrt(2)r/lambda_D) and the process to get to this solution is discussed, including substituting R(r) and performing the chain rule. The conversation ends with the individual thanking for the help in solving the equation.
peterjaybee
Hello,

In my plasma physics book, poissons equation in relation to a plasma made up of electrons and protons is given as

[tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r^{2}\frac{d\varphi\left(r\right)}{dr}\right) = \frac{2}{\lambda_{D}}\varphi\left(r\right)[/tex]

The solution of this equation when phi(r) tends to 0 for r tending to infinity is

[tex]\varphi\left(r\right) = \frac{e}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r}exp\left(-\frac{\sqrt{2}r}{\lambda_{D}}\right)[/tex]

How do you get to this solution? I have tried multiplyin both sides by r^2, then integrating w.r.t. r, by parts, but I cannot get any further than that.

Regards,

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest thing to do would be to substitute using:

[tex]R(r) = r \varphi (r)[/tex]

Then you can rewrite it as:

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr} \left( r^2 \frac{d \varphi}{dr} \right) = \frac{2}{\lambda_d}R[/tex]

You can continue from here by performing the chain rule to place the left hand side in terms of [tex]R[/tex].

EDIT: Nevermind, I made a mistake earlier on, fixed now. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
I have now got a homogeneous 2nd order differential equation and from that an auxillary equation, which is beginning to take the form of the answer. Thanks

What is the Poisson's equation for plasma?

The Poisson's equation for plasma is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of electric potential in a plasma. It is given by the equation ∇²Φ = -4πρ, where ∇² represents the Laplace operator, Φ represents the electric potential, and ρ represents the charge density in the plasma.

What are the applications of Poisson's equation in plasma physics?

Poisson's equation is used in various areas of plasma physics, including plasma confinement, plasma instabilities, and plasma simulations. It is also used in the design and analysis of plasma-based devices such as fusion reactors and plasma thrusters.

How is the Poisson's equation solved in plasma simulations?

The Poisson's equation is solved numerically in plasma simulations using various techniques such as finite difference method, finite element method, and spectral method. These methods discretize the equation and solve it iteratively to obtain a numerical solution.

What is the physical significance of the Poisson's equation in plasma?

The Poisson's equation represents the balance between the electric forces and the charge density in a plasma. It determines the electric potential throughout the plasma, which in turn affects the distribution of charge and the overall behavior of the plasma.

What are the limitations of the Poisson's equation in plasma simulations?

The Poisson's equation assumes that the plasma is quasi-neutral, meaning that the positive and negative charges are evenly distributed. It also neglects the effects of magnetic fields, collisions, and other complex phenomena that may be present in a real plasma. Therefore, it may not accurately describe the behavior of all types of plasmas.