Force on a Permanent Magnet Falling through a Coil

In summary, the drag force on a magnet falling through a coil is significantly lower than when falling through a conductive pipe due to the coil's open structure preventing large circular eddy currents from forming. The coil must be shorted for this force to have an effect, and once shorted, it acts as a low-resistance loop. This may be referred to as a generator current rather than an eddy current. The drag force in a coil is negligible and may not be significant for power production, so a longer coil may be more beneficial for this purpose.
BryanFantana
What is the drag force on a magnet falling through a coil? I have found several sources online describing the drag force on a magnet falling through a conductive pipe. How might this vary if a coil is used in place of a pipe? Does the coil need to be connected to a circuit to create this force?

Physics news on Phys.org
The coil needs to be shorted for it to have an effect otherwise I don't think that the results differ that much.

0xDEADBEEF said:
The coil needs to be shorted for it to have an effect otherwise I don't think that the results differ that much.

I think this is pretty much correct. The magnet would like to induce eddy currents, and a large piece of metal allows currents to form in loops. This is why transformer, and motor cores are often laminated to reduce eddy currents. However, an open coil structure does not allow very big circular loops to form, and sort of acts like a laminated piece of metal, only better. Once, the coil is shorted, you have a very nice low-resistance loop! Perhaps, in this case, you would refer to the currents as generator currents, rather than eddy currents, since you now have a simple linear generator.

Thanks guys. From doing a little bit of lab testing and pondering, I gather that dropping a magnet down a conductive pipe produces lots of drag due to the Eddy currents forming inside the pipe. The same magnet falling down a coil experiences little drag and the drag force is probably negligible.

You guys mention shortening the coil. Would that lower the force? Ultimately the goal of my project is power production. I am trying to model how this thing might behave and I was curious about a magnetically-induced drag force. But since the force seems tiny and more power is the primary objective, would a longer coil be better?

What is the force acting on a permanent magnet falling through a coil?

The force acting on a permanent magnet falling through a coil is known as electromagnetic induction. This is the force that results in the creation of an electric current in the coil as the magnet moves through it.

How does the speed of the falling magnet affect the force?

The speed of the falling magnet does not have a direct effect on the force. However, a faster moving magnet will create a stronger electric current in the coil due to the increased rate of change in the magnetic field.

Does the size of the magnet and coil impact the force?

Yes, the size of the magnet and coil can impact the force. A larger magnet or coil will have a greater surface area for the magnetic field to interact with, resulting in a stronger force.

What factors affect the strength of the force?

The strength of the force is affected by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the falling magnet, the size of the magnet and coil, and the number of turns in the coil.

How can the force on a falling magnet be increased?

The force on a falling magnet can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, increasing the velocity of the magnet, or increasing the size of the magnet or coil.