Greatest common divisor of polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses the greatest common divisor of polynomials and its relationship to a matrix multiplication. The question is whether the square of the greatest common divisor is also the greatest common divisor of the resulting matrices. A potential counterexample is given, but it has not been proven or disproven.
Pere Callahan
HI there,

I have a tiny question concerning the gcd of polynomials. Assume, [itex]\chi[/itex] is the greatest common divisor of the polynomails [itex]p_{ij}, i,j=1,2[/itex]. I then form
[tex]
q_{11}=p_{11}^2+p_{12}^2,\quadd q_{12}=p_{11}p_{21}+p_{12}p_{22},\quadd q_{21}=p_{21}p_{11}+p_{22}p_{12},\quadd q_{22}=p_{21}^2+p_{22}^2
[/tex]

which is in fact a matrix multiplication:
[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
q_{11} & q_{12} \\ q_{21} & q_{22}
\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}
p_{11} & p_{12} \\ p_{21} & p_{22}
\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
p_{11} & p_{12} \\ p_{21} & p_{22}
\end{array}\right)^T
[/tex].

I think everyone would agree that [tex]\chi^2[/itex] is a common divisor of all the q's. But is it also the greatest one...? I couldn't find a counterexample and couldn't prove it either.

Thanks a lot :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##2 \,|\,\begin{bmatrix}26&36\\36&50\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1&5\\1&7\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}1&1\\5&7\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}1&5\\1&7\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}1&5\\1&7\end{bmatrix}^\tau##

What is the greatest common divisor (GCD) of polynomials?

The greatest common divisor of two or more polynomials is the largest polynomial that divides evenly into all of them. It is also known as the highest common factor (HCF) or greatest common factor (GCF).

How is the GCD of polynomials calculated?

The GCD of polynomials can be calculated using the Euclidean algorithm. This involves dividing the larger polynomial by the smaller one, and then using the remainder as the new smaller polynomial in the next step. The process is repeated until the remainder is zero, and the last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

What are the properties of the GCD of polynomials?

The GCD of polynomials has the following properties:

• It is always a factor of both polynomials.
  • It is unique, meaning that the GCD of two polynomials is the same regardless of the order in which the polynomials are written.
  • It can be expressed as a linear combination of the two polynomials, with coefficients that are also polynomials.

How is the GCD of polynomials used in polynomial division?

The GCD of polynomials is used in polynomial division to simplify the quotient and remainder. When dividing one polynomial by another, the GCD is factored out of both polynomials to make the division easier.

What are some real-life applications of the GCD of polynomials?

The GCD of polynomials has applications in various fields, including cryptography, signal processing, and error-correcting codes. It is also used in solving problems in mathematics and computer science, such as finding the shortest path in a graph or determining the number of moves needed to solve a Rubik's cube.