Feynman's description of angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the Feynman Messenger Lectures on project tuva, specifically the second video lecture on angular momentum. Feynman's geometrical description of angular momentum is explained and a question is posed about interpreting it as equal to the areal velocity times 2m. The equation dA/dt=L/2m is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a discussion on a function r(t) and the calculation of the area swept out.
stingray191
I recently watched the Feynman Messenger Lectures on project tuva. I hope some of you have watched the second video lecture in the collection or will watch it in order to help me with my following question :smile:. In this lecture Feynman talks about angular momentum in terms of the time rate of change of the area swept out by the radial vector. That is, angular momentum is proportional to the areal velocity. I've always had trouble intuitively understanding angular momentum but feynman's geometrical description made sense to me and seemed simple. My question is this: Is interpreting angular momentum as being equal to the areal velocity times 2m valid in general? And if yes, then why is this way not taught in physics courses? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, because if L, the magnitude of angular momentum, is proportional to the areal velocity, then so is 2L, 3L, and so forth.

I meant that does the equation dA/dt=L/2m hold in general where da/dt is the areal velocity.

"Leaning Towah!"

I haven't gone through all of his lectures yet but they are very entertaining. I never knew his accent was that strong though.

Consider a function r(t) (assume it is smooth or at least twice differentiable since we are considering a natural trajectory)

The area the function sweeps out from t to t+dt is [tex]dA=.5r(t)\times r(t+dt)[/tex] this is because he area will be an infinitesimal triangle with the sides as vectors r(t) and r(t+dt) and it is well known that the area of a triangle defined by two "side" vectors is one half times the cross product of the vectors. See the graph below I made( dA is the yellow region)
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/614/areavelocity.jpg
Therefore, dA is equal to

[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}=.5\frac{r(t)\times r(t+dt)}{dt}=.5r(t)\times \frac{r(t+dt)}{dt}=.5r(t)\times v(t)[/tex]

Obviously dA/dt (areal velocity) is proportional to angular momentum.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Feynman's description of angular momentum?

Feynman's description of angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of a system. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance of objects in a rotating system.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular velocity (how fast an object is rotating) of the system.

3. What is the significance of angular momentum in physics?

Angular momentum is a fundamental concept in physics and is conserved in closed systems. It helps explain the behavior of rotating objects, such as planets in orbit or spinning tops, and is essential in understanding the laws of motion and conservation of energy.

4. What are some real-world applications of angular momentum?

Some real-world applications of angular momentum include gyroscopes used in navigation and stabilization systems, centrifuges used in laboratories to separate materials, and the movement of celestial bodies in space.

5. How did Feynman contribute to our understanding of angular momentum?

Feynman's contribution to our understanding of angular momentum was his development of a mathematical notation known as the "Feynman diagrams," which helped simplify and visualize complex calculations involving angular momentum. He also proposed the concept of "Feynman's disk," which demonstrates the conservation of energy and angular momentum in a spinning disk.