What is the 50th derivative of F(x)=Cos(2x)?

• Thread starter Alem2000
  • Start date
In summary, the 50th derivative of F(x)=cos(2x) can be determined by focusing on the even derivatives, which follow the pattern (-1)^n4^ncos(2x). By using induction, one can easily prove this pattern and determine the 50th derivative.
Alem2000
The qeustion was what is the 50th dy/dx of F(x)=Cos(2x)
this is what i did
1st------dy/dx=-2Sin(2x)
2nd------dy/dx=-4Cos(2x)
3rd-------dy/dx=8Sin(2x)
4th-------dy/dx=16Cos(2x)
5th-------dy/dx=-32Sin(2x)...now that it reapeated itself its time to figure out the 50th. that's where I am confused. My problem is with the negative signs. how can i catch that patteren... :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think about it, it should be pretty clear. Differentiating cosine gives a negative, differentiating sine gives none. And you differentiate a cosine every other time.
So, you start with
-sin. Now, differentiating sin gives no negative, so nothing changes
-cos. Cos changes things, so
+sin
+cos
-sin
-cos
+
+
-
-
+
+

Got it?

hmm...yeah i see. Thanks!

change to cosine function

I think you should use this way to solve your problem:
1th dx/dy = -2sin2x=+2cos(2x+pi/2), so we obtain
2th dx/dy = +4cos(2x+pi)
3th dx/dy = +8cos(2x+3pi/2)
Continueing, we obtain:
i th dx/dy=+2^icos(2x+npi/2), from this, we can determine 50th dx/dy very fast and easy

You could try focusing on the even derivatives:

0th: cos(2x)
2nd: -4cos(2x)
4th: 16cos(2x)
etc.

So you might guess for the (2n)th derivative:
[tex](-1)^n4^ncos(2x)[/tex]

and prove this with induction.

1. What is the 50th derivative of F(x) = Cos(2x)?

The 50th derivative of F(x) = Cos(2x) is equal to 2^50 * (-1)^25 * Cos(2x).

2. How do you find the 50th derivative of F(x) = Cos(2x)?

To find the 50th derivative of F(x) = Cos(2x), you can use the general formula for the nth derivative of cosine: d^n/dx^n [Cos(ax)] = a^n * Cos(ax). In this case, a = 2, so the 50th derivative would be 2^50 * (-1)^25 * Cos(2x).

3. Is the 50th derivative of F(x) = Cos(2x) always the same?

Yes, the 50th derivative of F(x) = Cos(2x) will always be the same, regardless of the value of x. This is because cosine has a repeating pattern, so the derivatives will also have a repeating pattern.

4. Can you simplify the 50th derivative of F(x) = Cos(2x)?

Yes, the 50th derivative of F(x) = Cos(2x) can be simplified to 2^50 * (-1)^25 * Cos(2x) = 2^50 * Cos(2x) since (-1)^25 = -1. However, this is already a simplified form of the derivative.

5. What is the pattern in the derivatives of F(x) = Cos(2x)?

The pattern in the derivatives of F(x) = Cos(2x) is that the derivative will alternate between positive and negative values, with the values increasing in magnitude as the derivative number increases. For example, the 1st derivative will be 2 * Sin(2x), the 2nd derivative will be -4 * Cos(2x), the 3rd derivative will be -8 * Sin(2x), and so on.