Homeomorphism between unit square and unit disc

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a bijective function from [0,1] x [0,1] to the closed unit disc D. The attempt at a solution involved finding continuous surjective functions, but not injective ones. The concept of topology as "rubber sheet geometry" was mentioned, with the basic idea being to stretch the boundary of the circle to map it onto the boundary of the square. The conversation ended with the conclusion that the unit square should be centered at the origin and the boundary of the circle should be stretched by a certain factor to map it onto the square.
variety

Homework Statement

I want to find a bijective function from [0,1] x [0,1] -> D, where D is the closed unit disc.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been able to find two continuous surjective functions, but neither is injective. they are [tex]f_1(s,t)=\left((1-s)\cos{(2\pi t)}+s,(1-s)\sin{(2\pi t)}\right)[/tex] and [tex]f_2(s,t)=\left((1-s)\cos{(2\pi t)},(1-s)\sin{(2\pi t)}\right)[/tex]. I can't think of one that is injective, but there should be one because these two spaces are homeomorphic, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I even have another: [tex]f_3(s,t)=\left(\sin{(2\pi s)}\cos{(2\pi t)},\sin{(2\pi s)}\sin{(2\pi t)}\right)[/tex]. However, this is also not injective since all points with s=0 are mapped to the origin.

Imagine drawing the unit circle inside of the unit disc. For a given angle t from the x-axis, by what factor do you need to multiply the unit vector in that direction to get it to reach the unit square?

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1108/circlesquare.jpg

Once you map the boundary to the boundary, map the interior to the interior by just stretching a point in the circle by the same factor that boundary point was stretched. You've probably heard of topology as 'rubber sheet geometry' and this is the most basic case of that; you literally want to stretch the circle to cover the square

EDIT: Whoops.. I realized my square is too big here. For some reason I was thinking the unit square would have size two. The basic idea is the same though, center the two at the origin and ask what you need to multiply the boundary of the circle by to make it map to the boundary of the square

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help! I got it now.

1. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a continuous and bijective function between two topological spaces, meaning that it preserves the structure and properties of both spaces.

2. How can a unit square and a unit disc be homeomorphic?

A unit square and a unit disc can be homeomorphic because they both have the same topological properties, such as being connected and having no holes. This means that there exists a continuous and bijective function between the two shapes that preserves these properties.

3. What is the significance of a homeomorphism between a unit square and a unit disc?

A homeomorphism between a unit square and a unit disc is significant because it allows us to understand and study the properties of one shape by using the other shape. This can be useful in solving geometric or topological problems involving these shapes.

4. Can any two shapes be homeomorphic?

No, not all shapes can be homeomorphic. For two shapes to be homeomorphic, they must have the same number of holes, meaning that the number of connected components in one shape must be the same as the number of connected components in the other shape.

5. How is a homeomorphism different from an isomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a type of isomorphism, but it specifically refers to a continuous and bijective function between topological spaces. An isomorphism, on the other hand, refers to a one-to-one mapping between mathematical objects that preserves their algebraic structure.