Find the area of the region inside both polar graphs

In summary, the two equations 1+sin(x) = 5sin(x) and sin(x) = 1/4 can be solved for x using the standard half/double angle formula. The area inside the cardioid curve is .253 radians2.
Pi Face

Homework Statement

r1= 1+sin(theta)
r2= 5sin(theta)

Homework Equations

see above?

The Attempt at a Solution

totally stumped. usually i would set the two curves equal to each other, but i have no idea how to do that. using my ti-89's solve function just gives me a weird answer using arcsin as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Set the two r values equal to each other -- you can't set two equations equal to each other -- which gives you 1 + sin([itex]\theta[/itex]) = 5sin([itex]\theta[/itex]).

The graph of r = 5sin([itex]\theta[/itex]) is a circle of radius 2.5, whose center is at (0, 2.5) in rectangular coordinates. The other curve is a cardioid, a kind of heart-shaped curve. These curves intersect at two points.

Last edited:
but how do I find the numerical values of these two points?

Solve the equation 1 + sin([itex]\theta[/itex]) = 5sin([itex]\theta[/itex]). That will give you one of the values of [itex]\theta[/itex]. And because sin([itex]\pi - \theta[/itex]) = sin([itex]\theta[/itex]), that will give you the other one.

is there a way to solve it manually? my ti-89 gives me 6.28...(2pi) and 2.8889, which I am not sure what that converts to in radians.

which on second thought, doesn't make sense.

1+sin(2pi)=5sin(2pi)
1+0=0
1=0

huh?

Pi Face said:
is there a way to solve it manually? my ti-89 gives me 6.28...(2pi) and 2.8889, which I am not sure what that converts to in radians.
Absolutely, there's a way to solve it manually. Nothing I have done required the use of a calculator of any kind.

2.8889 is in radians, but both answers you show are WAY off. I really think you should put your calculator away.

What exactly did you do to solve 1 + sin([itex]\theta[/itex]) = 5sin([itex]\theta[/itex])? Show me your steps. No calculator.

Just woke up. A little groggy but I'll give it a shot.
theta=x out of laziness

1+sin(x)=5sin(x)
1=4sin(x)
sin(x)=1/4
...now what?
no where out of the "standard" points on the unit circle (pi/3,pi/2,pi/4, etc) does the y value equal 1/4

unless I can use the half/double angle formula somehow?

I REALLY got to go over my trig.

OK, good so far.
sin(x) = 1/4 ==> x = arcsin(1/4) = sin-1(1/4). Now you can use a calculator to get an approximate value for x, which is about 14.5 degrees, or about .253 radians. The exact value is The other angle is pi - x, or about 165.5 degrees.

Now, to find the area that is inside both curves, you should probably set this up as a polar integral. You can make life slightly easier by using the symmetry here, noting that both curves are symmetric about the y axis. Draw a graph of the two curves so you can figure out what your integrand needs to be. Also, because the boundary changes at the points of intersection, you'll need two integrals.

Got it. The actual finding the area part was easy, just blanked out at the sinx=1/4 part. thanks for you help

1. What is the formula for finding the area of the region inside both polar graphs?

The formula for finding the area of the region inside both polar graphs is: A = ∫θ1θ2 ½(r22 - r21) dθ, where r1 and r2 are the two polar graphs and θ1 and θ2 are the angles at which the two graphs intersect.

2. How do I determine the values of θ1 and θ2 for the integral?

To determine the values of θ1 and θ2, you can plot both polar graphs on a graphing calculator or software and find the points at which they intersect. These points will be the values of θ1 and θ2.

3. Are there any special cases where the formula for finding the area of the region inside both polar graphs may not apply?

Yes, there are some special cases where the formula may not apply. For example, if the two polar graphs are not symmetrical and intersect at multiple points, the formula may need to be adjusted to account for these intersections.

4. Can I use this formula to find the area of any region inside polar graphs?

No, this formula can only be used to find the area of the region inside two polar graphs that intersect at two points. It cannot be used for regions with more than two intersecting polar graphs or non-intersecting polar graphs.

5. Can I use this formula for finding the area of regions in 3-dimensional space?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the area of regions inside two polar graphs in 2-dimensional space. It cannot be applied to 3-dimensional space.