Calculating impedance for parallel circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit equation and using complex numbers to reach the answer. The solution is provided and the individual is confused about how to solve the equation in the red box. They ask for advice and are given a trick to solve the equation using the complex conjugate. The conversation ends with the individual confirming their answer and asking for further clarification.
spiderabbit
Hi there,

Below shows the solution to the circuit.
However i am confused about how to solve the eq in red box.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2797/123vv.jpg

do i need to solve it by calculator or more work needs to be done?

If it's by calculator i am using sharp and i couldn't get the correct answer.

Please advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 406
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi spiderabbit! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The trick for putting (a + ib)/(p + iq) into standard form is to myltiply both top and bootm by the complex conjugate of the bottom …

(a + ib)/(p + iq) = (a + ib)(p - iq)/(p2 + q2) :wink:

That does give your answer of 4 + j8 … what is worrying you?

1. What is impedance in a parallel circuit?

Impedance in a parallel circuit is the total opposition to the flow of current, and it is represented by the letter Z. It is a combination of both resistance and reactance.

2. How do you calculate total impedance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate total impedance in a parallel circuit, you need to use the formula Z = 1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)+...+(1/Rn)), where R1, R2, and Rn are the individual resistances of each branch in the parallel circuit.

3. What is the difference between impedance and resistance in a parallel circuit?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of current caused by a material's physical properties, while impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current in a circuit, taking into account both resistance and reactance.

4. How does reactance affect total impedance in a parallel circuit?

Reactance is the opposition to the flow of current caused by the circuit's inductance and capacitance. In a parallel circuit, reactance decreases the total impedance, meaning that the overall current increases.

5. Can you have a negative impedance in a parallel circuit?

No, you cannot have a negative impedance in a parallel circuit. Impedance is a scalar quantity and cannot have a negative value.