Does Alcohol React with Acid to Produce Salt or Ester?

In summary, the reaction between an alcohol and an inorganic acid, like HCl or H3PO4, with sodium stearate (a soap) will produce stearic acid and a stearate ester, with the extent of the reaction depending on the amounts of alcohol and acid present. This reaction can also be reversed if water builds up in sufficient amounts.
icystrike
I am uncertain if alcohol react with acid ( not carboxylic acid ) will produce salt or ester.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well I know that ethanol will form esters with inorganic acids, but I wouldn't make a generalization based on this. I would say that it depends on the alcohol and what type of acid you're dealing with.

Hi pzona! thanks for your reply.
How about C17H35CO2NA ?

Well I could probably look it up and give you an answer, but I haven't taken a college level organic chem course yet (just an overview class in high school), so I don't feel like I would be able to fully explain it in detail. I'll leave this to someone else who is a little more experienced.

Thanks anyway (= your help is greatly appreciated

icystrike said:
How about C17H35CO2Na ?

What is the actual structure here, this could be many different things, to be completely honest - do you have a name?

Besides, this looks like salt, not an acid itself.

--
methods

icystrike said:
How about C17H35CO2NA ?

This is sodium stearate. In the presence of an acid the salt produces the carboxylic acid known as stearic acid. If you were to treat the sodium salt of the stearic acid (sodium stearate - a soap) with both alcohol and an inorganic acid, like HCl or H3PO4, you would first produce stearic acid. This would use an equivalent of acid. If you have more than an equivalent of acid present (and it only need be present in catalytic amounts) you would begin to produce a stearate ester and a molecule of water. This reaction would continue until the alcohol or the stearic acid were used up or if the water began to build up in sufficient amounts to reverse the reaction back to the starting materials.

1. What is the chemical reaction between alcohol and acid?

The chemical reaction between alcohol and acid is called esterification. This reaction produces a salt and an ester.

2. How does alcohol react with acid?

Alcohol reacts with acid in a process called nucleophilic acyl substitution. The alcohol molecule acts as a nucleophile, attacking the carbonyl carbon of the acid molecule and replacing the -OH group with an -OR group.

3. What is the product of the reaction between alcohol and acid?

The product of the reaction between alcohol and acid is a salt and an ester. The salt is formed from the acid's carboxyl group and an alcohol molecule, while the ester is formed from the alcohol's -OR group and the acid's carbonyl group.

4. What factors influence the yield of esterification reaction between alcohol and acid?

The yield of the esterification reaction between alcohol and acid can be influenced by several factors, including the type and concentration of the acid and alcohol, reaction temperature, and presence of a catalyst. Higher concentrations of reactants and higher reaction temperatures typically result in higher yields.

5. Can any alcohol react with any acid to form a salt and an ester?

No, not all alcohols and acids can undergo esterification to form a salt and an ester. This reaction requires an alcohol with a -OH group and an acid with a carboxyl group. Additionally, the size and structure of the alcohol and acid molecules can also affect the reaction's feasibility and yield.