First Order Homogeneous Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general solution of two homogeneous differential equations. The first equation is solved using a substitution and the second equation is solved by using a more appropriate substitution. The final solution expresses the solution as a function of u and x together.
drcameron

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the following homogeneous differential equations:

(i) [tex]\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{4u-2x}{u+x}[/tex]
(ii) [tex]\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{xu+u^{2}}{x^{2}}[/tex]

(You may express your solution as a function of u and x together)

Homework Equations

There are no relevant equations to this solution

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) [tex]\frac{du}{dx} = 4 - \frac{6x}{u+x}[/tex]
I could then use the substition y=u+x with dy/dx = du/dx + 1 to give:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 5 - \frac{6x}{y}[/tex].
Now I'm really lost as shouldn't the y be on the top or am I missing something really stupid here?

(ii) Similar problem to above - should get it from (i) but a hint would go a long way.

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual trick in the homogeneous case it to use the substitution y=u/x. Did you try that? It should make it separable.

Many thanks, using a more appropriate substitution helps a lot. The second equation then just fell into place for me as a result.

1. What is a first order homogeneous differential equation?

A first order homogeneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a single variable to the variable itself. It is called homogeneous because all the terms in the equation have the same degree and can be expressed as a function of a single variable.

2. How do you solve a first order homogeneous differential equation?

To solve a first order homogeneous differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the variables and integrating both sides of the equation. You may also use the method of substitution, where you substitute a new variable that makes the equation separable.

3. What is the general solution of a first order homogeneous differential equation?

The general solution of a first order homogeneous differential equation is a family of solutions that satisfy the equation. It contains an arbitrary constant that can take on any value, which allows for an infinite number of possible solutions.

4. Can all first order differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all first order differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may require numerical methods or approximation techniques to find a solution. However, first order homogeneous differential equations can be solved analytically using the methods mentioned above.

5. What are some real-world applications of first order homogeneous differential equations?

First order homogeneous differential equations have many applications in science and engineering, such as modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and radioactive decay. They are also used in economics, finance, and biology to describe various phenomena and make predictions.