Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration

• Thread starter majormuss
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who is struggling with doubts about their potential in physics due to their lack of success in math. They have read articles about the importance of hard work and are hoping they will become a genius in the future. However, their classmates who may not be as naturally gifted in math are succeeding through hard work. The speaker advises the student to let go of the idea of becoming a genius and instead focus on putting in the hard work and possibly considering a different field of science with less math involved.
majormuss
Hi Guys,
Of late, it has being an unfortunate new habit of mine at which I keep doubting my own potential. I am still in High School and taking introductory physics. I aspire to major in Physics in the near future. I have never actually been a math type of guy( though I mostly manage above 90's in High School so far, I however failed terribly when I tried AP calculus beginning this semester and eventually had to drop it). I am slowly losing confidence in myself. .SInce I was a kid I have always been fascinated by Science but my Math history is an entirely unsuccessful record in my life. Because of my relative weakness in Math I am suffering a bit with Physics currently; so far only managing mid-70's in Physics. I have read a couple articles online which emphasize hardwork as a better trait than just genius. I also want to believe that my situation currently is not permanent, and that maybe by some chance my brain will develop further and I will become some sort of genius in the future( Don't get me wrong, I am not merely sitting idle and waiting for a change). I do work hard. Well I have always hoped to wake up one day I find myself as a true genius. From scoring 400 in the Math section for the second time in the SAT and having to drop AP Physics and Calculus, I am deeply in need of some encouragement and I hope someone out there can conjure the right word to relinquish me from my insecurities and fears.

Physics news on Phys.org
majormuss said:
I have read a couple articles online which emphasize hardwork as a better trait than just genius.
It is, 'specially once you hit all the boring material that makes up the vast quantity of science and math education. Genius is great and all, but it probably won't get you through the grunt work that is yet another homework problem in a topic you think you know. Some of my classmates aren't the brightest bulbs, but they make it just fine through their degrees by putting in tons of hours.

. Well I have always hoped to wake up one day I find myself as a true genius.
Get over that, fast. It's really not the end of the world. Take it from someone who has always been much stronger at the humanities but chose engineering anyway, you're just not going to magically wake up one day and know everything. It's just going to be lots more work and more middling to bad grades and trudging along, but at the end of it you'll be doing something you like.

There's also taking the third route. Go for a soft science like biology or Earth science or a social science like psychology or economics, something where there's just not that much math. You may have to get through calculus, but that's about it.

Dear aspiring physicist,

First of all, I want to commend you for your determination and passion for physics. It takes a lot of courage to pursue a field that you may not feel completely confident in. I want to assure you that your struggles with math do not define your potential for success in physics.

In fact, many successful physicists have faced similar challenges with math at some point in their academic journey. What is important is that you continue to work hard and persevere. As you mentioned, hard work is a better trait than just genius. With dedication and persistence, you can overcome any perceived weaknesses and excel in physics.

It is also important to remember that success in physics is not solely based on mathematical ability. While math is certainly a crucial aspect of the subject, it is not the only factor that determines success. Many other skills, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity, are equally important in physics.

Furthermore, it is not necessary to be a genius to make significant contributions in the field of physics. Many great discoveries and breakthroughs have been made by individuals who may not have been considered geniuses, but who had a deep passion and dedication for their work.

So do not let your struggles with math discourage you. Instead, use them as a motivation to work even harder and improve your skills. Seek support from your teachers, peers, and other resources to help you overcome any challenges you may face. Remember that your current situation is not permanent, and with determination and hard work, you can achieve your goals.

I hope this encourages you to continue pursuing your dreams in physics. Never give up on yourself and always believe in your potential. The world needs passionate and dedicated scientists like you. Keep striving towards your goals, and I have no doubt that you will achieve great success in the field of physics.

Best of luck to you on your journey.

1. What is "Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration"?

"Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration" is a platform designed to provide inspiration and motivation to individuals interested in physics. It offers a variety of resources such as articles, videos, and discussions to help stimulate critical thinking and spark curiosity in the field of physics.

2. Who can benefit from "Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration"?

"Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration" can benefit anyone who is interested in physics, whether they are a student, teacher, or simply curious about the subject. The platform is designed to cater to individuals of all levels of knowledge and understanding in physics.

3. Are the resources on "Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration" reliable?

Yes, all resources on "Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration" are carefully curated and reviewed by a team of experienced physicists. We strive to ensure the accuracy and credibility of all materials provided on the platform.

4. Can I contribute my own content to "Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration"?

Yes, we welcome contributions from individuals who are passionate about physics. If you have an article, video, or any other resource that you would like to share with our community, you can submit it for review through our website.

5. Is "Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration" a free platform?

Yes, "Inspire My Physics Hopes - Need Dire Inspiration" is completely free to use. We believe that access to quality resources and inspiration should not be limited by financial constraints. However, donations are always welcome to help us continue providing valuable content to our community.