Imaginary number -i raised to negative power

Therefore, 1 - (-i)^{-4} = 0. This is because i and -i are reciprocal of each other, so (-i)^{-1} = i and (-i)^{-4} = i^4 = 1. In summary, the expression 1 - (-i)^{-4} evaluates to 0.
CE Trainee

Homework Statement

I came across this expression in homework and for the life of me I can't figure out how this evaluates to 0: 1 - ( -i )^-4 = 1 - 1 = 0

I know that i^1 = i, i^2 = -1, i^3 = -i, and i^4 = 1. I'm just not sure how to treat the negative on the i. Do I just treat i as if it were just a regular number, i.e. (-1)^4 = 1?
Or can I just say ( -i )*( -i )*( -i )*( -i ) = 1? Can anyone shed some light on this. I know it has to be painfully simple but for some reason I just can't see it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CE Trainee said:

Homework Statement

I came across this expression in homework and for the life of me I can't figure out how this evaluates to 0: 1 - ( -i )^-4 = 1 - 1 = 0

I know that i^1 = i, i^2 = -1, i^3 = -i, and i^4 = 1. I'm just not sure how to treat the negative on the i. Do I just treat i as if it were just a regular number, i.e. (-1)^4 = 1?
Or can I just say ( -i )*( -i )*( -i )*( -i ) = 1? Can anyone shed some light on this. I know it has to be painfully simple but for some reason I just can't see it.

Thanks
Distribute the power:
[tex](-i)^4 = (-1)^4i^4[/tex]

[itex]i(-i)= -i^2= -(-1)= 1[/itex] so i and -i are reciprocals. In particular, [itex](-i)^{-1}= i[/itex] and so [itex](-i)^{-4}= i^4= 1[/itex].

it is very easy problem. See,

[tex]

1 - i^{-4}[/tex]

= [tex]1 - \frac {1}{i^4}[/tex]

= [tex]1 - \frac {1}{1}[/tex]

= 1 - 1

= 0

1. What is the result of raising -i to a negative power?

The result of raising -i to a negative power is a complex number with a real part and an imaginary part. The real part is always 1, while the imaginary part is equal to the reciprocal of the positive exponent of i. For example, (-i)^-2 = 1/(-i)^2 = 1/(-1) = -1.

2. Can -i be raised to a negative decimal or fraction?

Yes, -i can be raised to a negative decimal or fraction. This can be solved by converting the negative exponent to a positive exponent using the rule: (-i)^(-n) = 1/(-i)^n. Then, the same process as raising -i to a positive power can be followed. For example, (-i)^(-0.5) = 1/(-i)^0.5 = 1/(-√i) = 1/(-1+i) = -1/2+i/2.

3. What is the difference between raising -i to a negative power and a positive power?

The main difference between raising -i to a negative power and a positive power is the resulting complex number. When raised to a positive power, the imaginary part of -i becomes positive, while when raised to a negative power, the imaginary part becomes negative. Additionally, the reciprocal of the positive exponent is used when raising -i to a negative power.

4. Can -i be simplified when raised to a negative power?

No, -i cannot be simplified when raised to a negative power. This is because there is no simpler form for a complex number with both a real and imaginary part. However, the expression can be evaluated using the rules mentioned before to find the final result.

5. How is -i raised to a negative power used in mathematics or science?

The concept of raising -i to a negative power is used in various areas of mathematics and science, particularly in complex numbers and solving equations involving complex numbers. It is also used in electrical engineering and physics to represent electrical impedance and other quantities in alternating current circuits. Furthermore, it is used in quantum mechanics to represent imaginary time, which is used to describe certain physical phenomena.