Help with Newton's Law of Gravitation

In summary: But yeah, it's important to keep track of significant digits. And yes, your final result is essentially correct. Good job! In summary, the net gravitational force on Mass A due to masses B and C in Figure 6.27 is 2.807e-8, calculated by adding the separate forces between A & C and A & B. The distance between A & B is 0.5m. It is important to keep track of significant digits in calculations.
SoulInNeed
1. Find the magnitude and direction of the net gravitational force on Mass A due to masses B and C in Figure 6.27. Each mass is 2.00 kg.

The figure looks like this:
A<----------->(10 cm distance)C<-------------------------->(40 cm distance)B

2.F(g)=G * (m(1)m(2))/(r^2)

3.I'm thinking of two ways to do this, one would be just include all 3 masses and the final distance between A & B, which would be 6.674e^-11 * (2 *2 *2)/(.50 m^2), which is 2.14e-9 to the right.

However, I could just do the two separately between A & C, and A & B, and just add them, or I could do A & C, and C & B, and just add them. Not too sure here, thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
SoulInNeed said:
3.I'm thinking of two ways to do this, one would be just include all 3 masses and the final distance between A & B, which would be 6.674e^-11 * (2 *2 *2)/(.50 m^2), which is 2.14e-9 to the right.
:bugeye:

However, I could just do the two separately between A & C, and A & B, and just add them,
Now you're cooking.

or I could do A & C, and C & B, and just add them.
Why C & B? You only care about the force on A, not between C and B.

SoulInNeed said:

No, don't go that way. :eek: That's not the way the math works.

However, I could just do the two separately between A & C, and A & B, and just add them,

There you go! try that one. :approve:

or I could do A & C, and C & B, and just add them. Not too sure here, thanks for any help!

Yell, that last approach won't help you either. The problem statement is asking you the gravitational force on A, caused by the others. The gravitational force between C and B isn't relevant to the particular problem.

[Edit:] Looks like Doc Al beat me to it.

OK, so would it be, A & C 6.674e-11 * (2 *2)/.1^2, which would be 2.7e-8.

Then, I would do A & B 6.674e-11 * (2 *2)/.5^2, which would be 1.07e-9.

Add them together and it's 2.807e-8. Can someone double check this? For the second part of the problem, I used .5m as the distance between A & B.

SoulInNeed said:
OK, so would it be, A & C 6.674e-11 * (2 *2)/.1^2, which would be 2.7e-8.

Then, I would do A & B 6.674e-11 * (2 *2)/.5^2, which would be 1.07e-9.

Add them together and it's 2.807e-8. Can someone double check this? For the second part of the problem, I used .5m as the distance between A & B.

You might want want to redo you final result (i.e. plugging in the numbers), keeping better track of significant digits, But yes, I believe you are essentially correct. :cool:

collinsmark said:
You might want want to redo you final result (i.e. plugging in the numbers), keeping better track of significant digits, But yes, I believe you are essentially correct. :cool:
Yeah, I was in a bit of a hurry, lol.

1. What is Newton's Law of Gravitation?

The Law of Gravitation, also known as Universal Law of Gravitation, is a fundamental law of physics discovered by Sir Isaac Newton. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Newton's Law of Gravitation work?

According to Newton's Law of Gravitation, every object in the universe exerts a force on every other object. The force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to their masses, meaning the heavier the objects, the stronger the force. The force of attraction is also inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects, so the farther apart they are, the weaker the force.

3. What is the formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation?

The formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force of attraction between two objects, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the force of gravity?

The force of attraction between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. So, the farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force of gravity between them.

5. What are some real-life examples of Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Newton's Law of Gravitation can be seen in many everyday situations, such as objects falling to the ground, the orbits of planets around the sun, and the tides caused by the moon's gravitational pull on the Earth. It also explains why we are able to walk on the surface of the Earth without floating away into space.