Special Relativity. timespace correlation.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of time dilation due to motion through space, specifically within the framework of special relativity. The speakers discuss the effects of moving at high speeds and how this can alter the perception of time. They also consider the concept of a frame of reference and how it relates to the experience of time. The conversation ends with a clarification that nothing is at rest in the absolute sense and that motion is always relative.
mlip
When you move through space time slows down, this is part of special relativity right. Hence when Light is moving at 670 million miles a hour time stops, and if you were to try and fly a spacecraft at 335 million miles an hour time would slow down by 1/2. But what I want to know is, since we are moving through space even by sitting here(the Earth spins, it orbits the sun, our solarsystem is being sucked into the black hole in the center of the milkyway, the milkyway is also moving away from the big bang) Does this mean time is actually skewed for us, does time pass differently for us on Earth than say for a being on another planet in another solarsystem that perhaps isn't moving too much?

Physics news on Phys.org
And perhaps this can be linked to multidimensions, since almost everything moves through space unevenly time has to cope with this. I dunno.

To speak of "skewing" time or space you must specify a frame of reference to which you are comparing. No one will EVER experience a personal change in the rate of time.

mlip said:
if you were to try and fly a spacecraft at 335 million miles an hour time would slow down by 1/2.
First of all, this is in fact incorrect. The formula used to find the time dilation factor is [tex]\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}[/tex]
. This yields a factor of 0.867 for v=.50c.
mlip said:
what I want to know is, since we are moving through space even by sitting here(the Earth spins, it orbits the sun, our solarsystem is being sucked into the black hole in the center of the milkyway, the milkyway is also moving away from the big bang) Does this mean time is actually skewed for us, does time pass differently for us on Earth than say for a being on another planet in another solarsystem that perhaps isn't moving too much?
I would assume so.

Integral said:
To speak of "skewing" time or space you must specify a frame of reference to which you are comparing. No one will EVER experience a personal change in the rate of time.

What I mean by this is for a comet going 500,000 miles an hour or more time passes more slowly than for me sitting here, this comet does not exist in the time I am experiancing.

mlip said:
What I mean by this is for a comet going 500,000 miles an hour or more time passes more slowly than for me sitting here,

But you still have to specify a frame in which the time is "slower", just as Integral said. A clock in the comet's frame would tick more slowly than your clock, according to you. But to an observer riding alongside the comet, your watch would tick more slowly than his, according to him. You have to specify a frame when you ask such questions.

this comet does not exist in the time I am experiancing.

Sure it does. The comet exists in every frame.

All I really wanted to get out of this thread is this: Since we are moving through space just by being on the planet earth, we are not moving through time as fast, my point of referance is a hypathetical planet just ouside the milky way that does not move through space at all, just time. Does anyone know how fast we are moving through space(In reference to nothing, pick a stationary point in space, that's the referance.)

Actually this would fit under general relativity, my mistake :)

Grizzlycomet said:
First of all, this is in fact incorrect. The formula used to find the time dilation factor is [tex]\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}[/tex]
. This yields a factor of 0.867 for v=.50c.

I would assume so.
Thank you for the correction, I just assumed :rolleyes: When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me :tongue:

mlip said:
All I really wanted to get out of this thread is this: Since we are moving through space just by being on the planet earth, we are not moving through time as fast, my point of referance is a hypathetical planet just ouside the milky way that does not move through space at all, just time. Does anyone know how fast we are moving through space(In reference to nothing, pick a stationary point in space, that's the referance.)

That's a serious conceptual error. Motion is always in reference to something. All motion is relative. When you say: "I'm traveling at 'x' m/s", the statement is meaningless unless you specify x m/s => with respect to what?. Similarly, if you claim to be stationary, the question that naturally arises is: stationary relative to what? Nothing is at rest in the absolute sense.

mlip said:
Actually this would fit under general relativity, my mistake :)

Actually, you were right the first time. Your question falls under the realm of special relativity.

cepheid said:
Nothing is at rest in the absolute sense.

I guess that debunks/answers my question. I'm just starting out here, physics is ****ed up. I'm loving it. Thanks to all. :yuck:

1. What is the concept of special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory in physics that explains how time and space are perceived differently by different observers, depending on their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity relate to time dilation?

Special relativity predicts that time will appear to pass slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. This is known as time dilation and is a result of the constant speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted as c, is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which all energy, matter, and information can travel in the universe. This constant plays a crucial role in the equations of special relativity and leads to many of its unique predictions.

4. How does special relativity explain the concept of time-space correlation?

Special relativity shows that time and space are not separate entities but are interconnected in a four-dimensional structure called spacetime. The rate at which time passes for an observer is dependent on their relative motion through spacetime. This concept is known as time-space correlation.

5. What evidence supports the theory of special relativity?

Special relativity has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict a variety of phenomena, such as time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy. One of the most well-known pieces of evidence is the famous equation E=mc², which demonstrates the relationship between mass and energy predicted by special relativity.