Explaining Mercury's Precession: Understanding the Role of General Relativity

• Thread starter TrickyDicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precession
In summary: Yes, this is an application of a superposition principle. In the limit of first order perturbations, the effects behave linearly.
TrickyDicky
When applying GR to calculate Mercury's precession, the result is 43 arcseconds which coincides with the part of observed precession unexplained by Newtonian theory . My question is: why the formula from GR gives precisely this unexpained 43 arcseconds and not the total observed precession of 5600 arcseconds per century as if the calculation had implicit the rest of approximations? I guess it is the way the GR derivation is set up but I'm curious abot how exactly.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TrickyDicky said:
When applying GR to calculate Mercury's precession, the result is 43 arcseconds which coincides with the part of observed precession unexplained by Newtonian theory . My question is: why the formula from GR gives precisely this unexpained 43 arcseconds and not the total observed precession of 5600 arcseconds per century as if the calculation had implicit the rest of approximations? I guess it is the way the GR derivation is set up but I'm curious abot how exactly.

Most of the observed precession (about 5557 arcsecs/cent) is simply due to precession of the equinox, and another 532 arcsecs/cent is due to the pulls exerted by the other planets. These effects would be virtually identical for both Newtonian gravity and general relativity. The remaining 43 arcsecs/cent has no explanation within Newtonian gravity, but in general relativity this extra precession is a natural feature of a single test particle orbiting in a spherical field, not related to the precession of the equinox or the pull of the other planets. When you set up the equations to determine the magnitude of this effect, you omit the precession of the equinox and the pull of the other planets. That's why you get just the extra 43 arcsec/cent. You could do the calculation for the whole effect, but it's much more complicated.

sf222 said:
Most of the observed precession (about 5557 arcsecs/cent) is simply due to precession of the equinox, and another 532 arcsecs/cent is due to the pulls exerted by the other planets. These effects would be virtually identical for both Newtonian gravity and general relativity. The remaining 43 arcsecs/cent has no explanation within Newtonian gravity, but in general relativity this extra precession is a natural feature of a single test particle orbiting in a spherical field, not related to the precession of the equinox or the pull of the other planets. When you set up the equations to determine the magnitude of this effect, you omit the precession of the equinox and the pull of the other planets. That's why you get just the extra 43 arcsec/cent. You could do the calculation for the whole effect, but it's much more complicated.

May I ask? Would it be correct to say that this is an application of a superpostion principle? In other words, despite the inherent nonlinearity of GR, the effects behave linearly in the limit of first order perturbations?

1. What is Mercury's precession?

Mercury's precession refers to the gradual change in the orientation of Mercury's orbit around the Sun. It is the slow rotation of the planet's axis, causing it to shift slightly over time.

2. Why does Mercury's precession occur?

Mercury's precession occurs due to the gravitational pull of the Sun and the other planets in the solar system. This pull causes a slight distortion in the space-time fabric around Mercury, which is known as the "frame-dragging" effect.

3. What is the role of General Relativity in explaining Mercury's precession?

General Relativity, a theory proposed by Albert Einstein, explains the effects of gravity on the curvature of space and time. It accurately predicts the amount of precession observed in Mercury's orbit, providing a better understanding of the underlying physical principles at work.

4. How does General Relativity differ from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation in explaining Mercury's precession?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation is a classical theory that describes gravity as a force acting between two objects. However, General Relativity takes into account the curvature of space and time, providing a more accurate explanation for the observed precession of Mercury's orbit.

5. Is Mercury's precession affected by anything other than General Relativity?

Yes, Mercury's precession is also affected by the gravitational pull of other planets and small asteroids in the solar system. These factors can cause slight variations in the precession observed, but General Relativity remains the primary explanation for the phenomenon.