Simple circuit completion counter

In summary: If there is a controller / processor in the loop you can save a little hardware and debounce in the firmware/software: Consider the simplest of all debouncing strategies: read the switch once every 500ms or so, and set a flag indicating the input's state. No reasonable switch will bounce that long. A read during the initial bounce period returns a zero or a one indicating the switch's instantaneous state. No matter how we interpret the data (in other words, switch on or off) the result is meaningful. The slow read rate keeps the routine from deducing that bounces are multiple switch closures.
mikeusru
I need a device with something like a 4-digit LCD or LED display which counts the amount of times its input and output contacts close. Basically, 1 count for each completed circuit. I was told things like these exist and are cheap, but don't know what to call it.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should take a look at the 4029 counter IC.
Also you might like to see this website that shows http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/counter.asp"

Last edited by a moderator:
mikeusru said:
I need a device with something like a 4-digit LCD or LED display which counts the amount of times its input and output contacts close. Basically, 1 count for each completed circuit. I was told things like these exist and are cheap, but don't know what to call it.

Thanks in advance!

Here are the results of doing a Google Images search on LED Counter Module:

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T...ule&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Or, if there is a controller / processor in the loop you can save a little hardware and debounce in the firmware/software:

EE Times said:
Consider the simplest of all debouncing strategies: read the switch once every 500ms or so, and set a flag indicating the input's state. No reasonable switch will bounce that long. A read during the initial bounce period returns a zero or a one indicating the switch's instantaneous state. No matter how we interpret the data (in other words, switch on or off) the result is meaningful. The slow read rate keeps the routine from deducing that bounces are multiple switch closures.
http://www.eetimes.com/discussion/break-point/4024981/My-favorite-software-debouncers

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!
So with something like
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3129-up-down-4-digit-led-event-counter.htm

How would I be able to tweak it to be sensitive enough to respond to skin conduction as a part of the circuit (basically, count a contact with a resistance of over 1k Ohms)?

1. What is a simple circuit completion counter?

A simple circuit completion counter is a device used to keep track of the number of times a circuit has been completed. It typically consists of a counter, which counts the number of times a circuit is completed, and a reset button, which resets the counter back to zero.

2. How does a simple circuit completion counter work?

A simple circuit completion counter works by using a switch or sensor to detect when a circuit is completed. Every time the circuit is completed, the counter increases by one. The reset button allows the counter to be reset back to zero, starting the count over.

3. What are the applications of a simple circuit completion counter?

Simple circuit completion counters are commonly used in electronic and electrical projects to keep track of the number of times a circuit has been completed. They can also be used in industrial applications to monitor the number of times a machine or process has been completed.

4. Can a simple circuit completion counter be modified for specific needs?

Yes, a simple circuit completion counter can be modified for specific needs. For example, the counter can be reset to a specific number instead of zero, or it can be set to count in reverse. This can be achieved by modifying the circuit or using a microcontroller.

5. Are there any alternatives to a simple circuit completion counter?

Yes, there are alternative ways to keep track of circuit completions, such as using a timer or manually counting the number of completions. However, a simple circuit completion counter is often the most efficient and accurate method for this task.