Calculating Freefall Time: Solving for t in a Ball's Descent

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of kinematic equations to solve for the time interval in which a ball, thrown downward with an initial speed of 8.25 m/s from a height of 29.4 m, strikes the ground. The correct application of the kinematic equation y = y_0 + v_0 t + (1/2)a t^2 is emphasized, along with the importance of using a consistent sign convention. The final position of the ball, where y = 0, is also highlighted as a key component in solving for the time interval.
motionman04
I'm having some problems with this question, A ball is thrown directly downward, with an initial speed of 8.25 m/s, from a height of 29.4 m. After what time interval does the ball strike the ground?

I tried 29.4 + 8.25 m/s(x) + 1/2(-9.8m/s)(x), but that didn't turn out to be right. Can I get some help with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well in a xy coordinate system, initial position will be its height, and when it hits the ground it will have a position of 0, so it's final position must be 0

wrong sign... and more

motionman04 said:
I tried 29.4 + 8.25 m/s(x) + 1/2(-9.8m/s)(x), but that didn't turn out to be right. Can I get some help with this one?
I assume you are trying to apply the following kinematic equation:
y = y_0 + v_0 t + (1/2)a t^2
Be sure to use a consistent sign convention: not only is the acceleration negative (a = - 9.8 m/s^2), don't forget that the initial velocity is also negative since it is thrown downward.
And, as Cyclovenom points out, the final postion is where y = 0. Solve for t.

Last edited:
29.4 + 8.25 m/s(x) + 1/2(-9.8m/s)(x),

Don't forget that the x (I would prefer t!) in the bold quantity needs to be squared.

1. What is freefall?

Freefall is the motion of an object that is only acted upon by the force of gravity. In this type of motion, the object is accelerating downwards with a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2, regardless of its mass.

2. What is the formula for freefall acceleration?

The formula for freefall acceleration is a = g = 9.8 m/s^2, where "a" represents acceleration and "g" represents the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How is freefall different from other types of motion?

Freefall is different from other types of motion because it is solely affected by the force of gravity, while other types of motion may have additional forces acting upon the object. Additionally, in freefall, the acceleration remains constant, while in other types of motion, the acceleration may change.

4. What is the difference between freefall and terminal velocity?

Freefall is the initial stage of motion when an object is only affected by gravity, while terminal velocity is the final stage when the object is falling at a constant speed due to air resistance balancing out the force of gravity. In other words, freefall is the acceleration stage, while terminal velocity is the constant speed stage.

5. How does air resistance affect freefall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. In freefall, air resistance increases as the object falls faster, eventually balancing out the force of gravity and causing the object to reach terminal velocity. This means that air resistance can slow down the acceleration of an object in freefall.