Binomial alternating series- even numbers

In summary, the conversation is about the formula for expanding (1-1)^n using the binomial theorem, where it is expected to equal 0. However, for even values of n, the \frac{n!}{(n/2)!(n/2)!} term does not seem to cancel out, resulting in the series not being equal to zero. The conversation concludes with the realization that the "middle term" \frac{n!}{(n/2)!(n/2)!} is necessary to cancel out all the other terms, and the formula does indeed hold true for all values of n.
QuantumP7

Homework Statement

Ok, I know that [tex] (-1)^r \binom {n} {r} [/tex] is supposed to equal 0. But I have plugged some numbers into this series, and this doesn't seem to be true for even numbers of n? Like for n = 4 and r = 4, I have:

[tex] 1 - \frac{4!}{1!3!} + \frac{4!}{2!2!} - \frac{4!}{3!1!} + \frac{4!}{4!} [/tex]. The [tex] \frac{4!}{2!2!} [/tex] seems to be in the way. For even numbers, the [tex]\frac{n!}{(n/2)!(n/2)!}[/tex] does not seem to cancel out, resulting in the series not being equal to zero. Am I doing something wrong at [tex]\frac{n!}{(n/2)!(n/2)!}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

[tex] 1 - \binom {n} {1} + \binom {n} {2} - \binom {n} {3} + \cdots + (-1)^r \binom {n} {n} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

See #1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi QuantumP7! :smile:

You're expanding (1 - 1)n sing the binomial theorem, so obviously it has to be zero?

Yes it is … your example for n = 4 goes 1 -4 6 -4 1 = 8 - 8 = 0.

Write out a Pascal's triangle and check as many rows as you like! :wink:

QuantumP7 said:
[tex] 1 - \frac{4!}{1!3!} + \frac{4!}{2!2!} - \frac{4!}{3!1!} + \frac{4!}{4!} [/tex]. The [tex] \frac{4!}{2!2!} [/tex] seems to be in the way. For even numbers, the [tex]\frac{n!}{(n/2)!(n/2)!}[/tex] does not seem to cancel out, resulting in the series not being equal to zero. Am I doing something wrong at [tex]\frac{n!}{(n/2)!(n/2)!}[/tex]?

It seems to be in the way of what? The other terms in that series don't cancel out in any natural way.

When you have an even number of terms, expanding (1-1)n is trivial because you just get an n choose k and a negative n choose k for each k. When n is odd though you get something that's genuinely interesting

Last edited:
I get it now! Thank you two so much!

QuantumP7 said:

Homework Statement

Ok, I know that [tex] (-1)^r \binom {n} {r} [/tex] is supposed to equal 0. But I have plugged some numbers into this series, and this doesn't seem to be true for even numbers of n? Like for n = 4 and r = 4, I have:

[tex] 1 - \frac{4!}{1!3!} + \frac{4!}{2!2!} - \frac{4!}{3!1!} + \frac{4!}{4!} [/tex].
For n odd "like" terms such as
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}5 \\1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ 4\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
will have opposite sign and cancel. You seem to think the same happens with even n. It doesn't:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}4 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}= \frac{4!}{1!3!}[/itex]
and

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}4 \\ 3\end{pmatrix}= \frac{4!}{3!1!}[/itex]
have the same sign and add
the "middle term" is necessary to cancel all the other terms

The [tex] \frac{4!}{2!2!} [/tex] seems to be in the way. For even numbers, the [tex]\frac{n!}{(n/2)!(n/2)!}[/tex] does not seem to cancel out, resulting in the series not being equal to zero. Am I doing something wrong at [tex]\frac{n!}{(n/2)!(n/2)!}[/tex]?
Did you actually do that calculation? It is 1- 4+ 6- 4+ 1= -3+ 6- 3= 0.

Homework Equations

[tex] 1 - \binom {n} {1} + \binom {n} {2} - \binom {n} {3} + \cdots + (-1)^r \binom {n} {n} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

See #1.

What is a binomial alternating series?

A binomial alternating series is a mathematical series where each term alternates in sign (positive or negative), and the terms follow the pattern of the binomial coefficients.

How do you determine if a series is a binomial alternating series?

A series can be determined to be a binomial alternating series if the coefficients follow the pattern of Pascal's triangle and alternate in sign.

What are the first few terms of a binomial alternating series for even numbers?

The first few terms of a binomial alternating series for even numbers are 2, -6, 20, -70, 252, -924, etc. These numbers follow the pattern of the binomial coefficients (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) and alternate in sign.

What is the general formula for a binomial alternating series for even numbers?

The general formula for a binomial alternating series for even numbers is (-1)^n * (2n)! / (n!)^2, where n is the term number starting from 0.

What is the significance of binomial alternating series for even numbers in mathematics?

Binomial alternating series for even numbers have many applications in mathematics, including in probability and statistics, as well as in the study of polynomials and their roots. They also have connections to other mathematical concepts such as Pascal's triangle and the binomial theorem.