Circular Motion on a Ferris Wheel

In summary, the problem involves three boys on a Ferris wheel dropping their teddy bears at specific positions and trying to find the distance between the teddy bears as they land. One boy drops his bear at the maximum height while the other two drop theirs at different positions on the way up and down. The solution involves using equations for distance and velocity, but there seems to be an error in the calculation for the distance between bears 2 and 3.
Patdon10

Homework Statement

At a county fair, a boy and two friends bring their teddy bears on the giant Ferris wheel. The wheel has a diameter of 10.5 m, the bottom of the wheel is 1.7 m above the ground and its rim is moving at a speed of 1.0 m/s. The boys are seated in positions 45° from each other. When the wheel brings the second boy to the maximum height, they all drop their stuffed animals. How far apart will the three teddy bears land? (Assume that the boy on his way down drops bear 1, and the boy on his way up drops bear 3.)
A. Find distance between bears 1 and 2
B. Find distance between bears 2 and 3

Homework Equations

D = v_0*t +(1/2)at^2
v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to figure out part a, with relatively no problems. The answer is 3.163 m.
Part B seems to not be working for me.
I know that the coordinates for Bear 2 are (0, 12.2) with V_x_i = 1.0 m/s. It has no initial y velocity.

For bear 2:
-12.2 m = (1/2)(-9.81)t^2
t = 1.5771s

d = (1.5771 s)(1 m/s)
d = 1.5771 m from it's initial distance of 0

For Bear 2, because it's 45 degrees away, it's coordinates are (+2.625 m, 9.575 m). It's initial velocities are v_x = 1cos(45) = 0.707 m/s. v_y = -sin(45) = -.707 m/s
d_y = v_0_y*t + (1/2)(g)(t^2)
0 = -4.905*t^2 + -0.707*t + 9.575
t = 1.3269 s

d_x = (0.707 m/s)(1.32696 s)
d_x = 0.93816

Total d_x of bear 1 is 2.625 + 0.93816 = 3.56316 m

distance between bear 2 and 1 is 3.56316 - 1.5771 m = 1.9861 m, but that's wrong. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

What is circular motion on a Ferris wheel?

Circular motion on a Ferris wheel is when an object moves in a circular path around a central point, which in this case is the center of the Ferris wheel. The object's speed and direction are constantly changing as it moves around the circle.

How does the Ferris wheel stay upright?

The Ferris wheel stays upright due to a combination of its design and the force of gravity. The wheel is designed with a central axis and evenly distributed weight on each side, which helps keep it balanced. The force of gravity also acts on the wheel's center of mass, keeping it stable.

Is there a difference in the motion of objects at the top and bottom of the Ferris wheel?

Yes, there is a difference in the motion of objects at the top and bottom of the Ferris wheel. Objects at the top of the wheel experience a greater centripetal force, causing them to move faster than objects at the bottom. This is because the top of the wheel has a larger radius, resulting in a longer distance to travel in the same amount of time as the bottom.

How does the speed of the Ferris wheel affect the motion of objects on it?

The speed of the Ferris wheel affects the motion of objects on it by changing the centripetal force acting on them. A higher speed means a greater centripetal force, resulting in a faster circular motion. This can also lead to a greater feeling of weightlessness for objects on the Ferris wheel.

What are some real-life applications of circular motion on a Ferris wheel?

Circular motion on a Ferris wheel can be seen in many real-life applications, such as the rotation of the Earth around the sun and the motion of planets in our solar system. It is also used in amusement park rides, such as roller coasters and carousels, to provide an exhilarating experience for riders. Additionally, circular motion is used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes perform spins and rotations in a circular path.