Generator output question

In summary: This is due to the fact that electricity can be easily controlled and transmitted, while hydraulics require fluid to be pumped through pipes which can cause energy loss. Therefore, in summary, the system with an engine driving a generator to power an electric motor would be more efficient in terms of power loss compared to an identical engine driving a hydraulic pump powering a hydraulic motor.
Longbow
Generator output question...

Hi there,

If I were to drive an electric generator from, for example, a 200Kw petrol engine, would the output of the generator also be 200Kw, or would I loose some power along the way? And if so, why?

Many thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

If your efficiencies are good you might get close, but you won't get all of it.

Longbow said:
Hi there,

If I were to drive an electric generator from, for example, a 200Kw petrol engine, would the output of the generator also be 200Kw, or would I loose some power along the way? And if so, why?

Many thanks.

You would lose power due mostly to the engine having to overcome friction in both the engine itself and in the generator.

You'd lose power from the frictions inherent in the engine and from resistances inherent in the cables.

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't think it could as simple as my theory suggested.

Leading on from my first question; if I were to have:

A. An engine driving a generator, as above, to power an electric motor.

and

B. An identical engine driving a hydraulic pump powering a hydraulic motor.

As a rule of thumb, which system would be more efficient in terms of power loss between engine and motor?

I suppose a parallel example would be diesel-electric and diesel-hydraulic trains.

In general, electrical systems are more efficient than hydraulic systems.

What is generator output?

Generator output refers to the amount of electrical energy produced by a generator. It is typically measured in watts or kilowatts.

How is generator output calculated?

Generator output is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current produced by the generator. This calculation can be affected by factors such as the generator's efficiency and load.

What factors affect generator output?

The output of a generator can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and type of generator, the fuel source, the load being powered, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and altitude.

Is generator output the same as maximum power output?

No, generator output refers to the actual amount of electrical energy being produced at a given time, while maximum power output refers to the highest possible amount of energy the generator can produce under ideal conditions.

Can the generator output be increased?

Yes, there are several ways to increase generator output, such as using a larger or more efficient generator, reducing the load being powered, and optimizing the generator's settings and maintenance.