Calculate acoustic pressure from velocity potential

Additionally, taking the Fourier transform of the original equation will give you a time-independent equation in complex form, which can also be useful in solving for the velocity potential and acoustic pressure.
SFB
Hi

I solved the helmholtz equation
[tex]\Delta\Phi+k^2\Phi=0[/tex]

to find the velocity potential in the cylindrical resonator. Since my answer is only a function of radius r and independent of time t, how can I find the acoustic pressure? what is the formula ?

I know the formula
p=-density* [tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

but I am not sure whether this would give the right answer as [tex]\phi[/tex] is no longer a function t.

Fourier transform of the first equation gives me a time independant equation but it was in the complex form?Any suggetsion would be very helpful.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
.The equation you solved is a Helmholtz equation, which is a type of wave equation that describes the propagation of sound in a medium. The pressure at any given point is related to the velocity potential via the equation you provided: p=-density* \frac{d\phi}{dt}. Since your solution is independent of time, this equation reduces to: p=-density* \frac{d\phi}{dr}. This is the equation you need to use to calculate the acoustic pressure at any given point in the cylindrical resonator.

What is the equation for calculating acoustic pressure from velocity potential?

The equation for calculating acoustic pressure (P) from velocity potential (Φ) is given by P = -ρ0∇Φ, where ρ0 is the density of the medium.

What is the unit of acoustic pressure?

The unit of acoustic pressure is Pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to N/m2.

How does the velocity potential affect acoustic pressure?

The velocity potential is directly proportional to the acoustic pressure. This means that as the velocity potential increases, the acoustic pressure also increases.

Can acoustic pressure be negative?

Yes, acoustic pressure can be negative. This occurs when the velocity potential is decreasing in a certain direction.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated acoustic pressure from velocity potential?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated acoustic pressure include the density and speed of the medium, as well as any boundary conditions or obstructions in the medium that may cause reflections or diffraction of sound waves.