First Order Error Analysis (Taylor Series)

In summary: So, to estimate the error, you take the derivative of the function and multiply it by the difference in the variable, in this case t, and the uncertainty in the variable, which is 1.5 for c. Then you plug in the values for t and c, and that gives you the error. So, in summary, the error of the velocity at t = 6 can be estimated using first-order error analysis by taking the derivative of the given function and multiplying it by the difference in the variable t and the uncertainty in the variable c, and then plugging in the values for t and c.
jegues

Homework Statement

The equation for the velocity of a falling parachutist can be computed by,

[tex]v(t) = \frac{gm}{c}(1-e^{-(\frac{c}{m})t})[/tex]

Use a first-order error analysis to estimate the error of v at t = 6, if g = 9.8 and m = 9.8, c = 12.5 plus or minus 1.5.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never done "first order error analysis" using taylor series so I've looked at the solution to try and do the problem backwards but I can't make sense of what's going on. (See figure attached)

attachment.php?attachmentid=31519&stc=1&d=1295722310.jpg

Can someone clarify to me what they're doing here? I need the ideas behind what's being done.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• SOL4.10.JPG
    SOL4.10.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 6,105
Physics news on Phys.org
He is using approximation by differentials. In one variable, say you have a function f(x) and you know it and its derivative at x0. You can approximate its value at some nearby point x1 by

f(x1) ≈ f(x0) + f'(x0)(x1-x0)

You may see it written as

f(x1) - f(x0) ≈ f'(x0)(x1-x0)

or

Δy ≈ f'(x)Δx

For example, the second line in your image is exactly this last equation with y and x replaced by v and c.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
He is using approximation by differentials. In one variable, say you have a function f(x) and you know it and its derivative at x0. You can approximate its value at some nearby point x1 by

f(x1) ≈ f(x0) + f'(x0)(x1-x0)

You may see it written as

f(x1) - f(x0) ≈ f'(x0)(x1-x0)

or

Δy = f'(x)Δx

For example, the second line in your image is exactly this last equation with y and x replaced by v and c.

EDIT: I think I got it now.

1. What is First Order Error Analysis?

First Order Error Analysis, also known as Taylor Series, is a mathematical method used to approximate the value of a function at a particular point by using the function's derivatives at that point. It is a way to estimate the error or uncertainty in a calculation.

2. How is First Order Error Analysis used in science?

In science, First Order Error Analysis is commonly used to estimate the error or uncertainty in mathematical models or experimental data. It is also used to improve the accuracy of calculations by taking into account the error in each step of the calculation.

3. Can Taylor Series be used for any function?

Yes, Taylor Series can be used for any function as long as the function is differentiable at the point of interest. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at that point.

4. What is the difference between First Order Error Analysis and higher order error analysis?

The main difference between First Order Error Analysis and higher order error analysis is the number of derivatives used in the approximation. First Order Error Analysis uses only the first derivative, while higher order error analysis uses multiple derivatives to improve the accuracy of the approximation.

5. How can First Order Error Analysis be improved?

First Order Error Analysis can be improved by using higher order error analysis, which takes into account more derivatives of the function. Additionally, using a smaller interval or step size in the calculation can also improve the accuracy of the approximation.