Reduction Formulae: Defining I(n) & Establishing Reduction Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses defining I(n) as the integral of x^n/sqrt(1+x^2)dx, evaluating I(0) and I(1), and establishing the reduction formula I(n) = ((sqrt2)-(n-1)I(n-2))/(n) for suitable values of n. The reduction formula is obtained by using integration by parts and simplifying the numerator.
Badrakhandama
Define I(n) by I(n) = integral of x^n / square root(1+x^2) dx. Evaluate I(0), I(1) and then establish the reduction formula I(n) = ((root2)-(n-1)I(n-2))/(n) for suitable values of n, which should be stated

Here is my attempt

I found I(0) first,and got the answer to be ln(1+root2), and I(1) to be ln (root2).

For the reduction formula, I am not sure where to start - do I try it by parts, differentiating x^n, and integrating 1/(root(1+x^2)) , or what should I do? For the values of n, I am not sure either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the following for integration by parts & see where it leads.

[tex]\text{Let }\ dv=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}\,dx\ \text{ and let }\ u=x^{n-1}.[/tex]

That should result in an integral with [tex]\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex] in the numerator.

Multiply the integrand by [tex]\frac{\sqrt{1+x^2}}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}\ ,[/tex] and simplify the numerator.

What is a reduction formula?

A reduction formula is a mathematical formula that expresses a complex function in terms of simpler functions. It is used to simplify calculations and make them more manageable.

What is I(n) in a reduction formula?

I(n) is a notation used in reduction formulae to represent a function with a variable, n, in its argument. It is typically used in integrals, where n represents the number of times the integral is repeated.

How is a reduction formula established?

A reduction formula is established by using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts or substitution to simplify a complex function. This results in an expression that can be used to calculate the original function for any given value of n.

What is the purpose of a reduction formula?

The purpose of a reduction formula is to simplify complex calculations by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable steps. This can save time and effort when solving equations or evaluating integrals.

Can reduction formulae be used in other areas of science?

Yes, reduction formulae can be used in various areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are especially useful in solving differential equations and evaluating complex integrals in these fields.