Finding the Volume of Two Solids: A Cylindrical Approach

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a region in space defined by a cone and a cylinder. The attempted solution involves switching to cylindrical coordinates, but the given bounds do not work. Another person points out that the bounds for theta should go from -pi/2 to pi/2.
tifa8
Hello I need help for this problem, it has been 4 hours trying to do it

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region of space above the xy-plane, inside the cone z=7−[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} [/tex] and inside the cylinder x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=4x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to switch to cylindrical coordinates and I got

0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]2[tex]\pi[/tex]
0[tex]\leq[/tex]r[tex]\leq[/tex]4cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
0[tex]\leq[/tex]z[tex]\leq[/tex]7-r

so,
V=[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{4cos(\theta)}_{0}\int^{7-r}_{0}[/tex]rdzdrd[tex]\theta[/tex]
which doesn't work...

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll find that θ goes from -π/2 to π/2 .

thank you

SammyS said:
I think you'll find that θ goes from -π/2 to π/2 .
How did you find these bounds?

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume inside two solids?

The formula for calculating the volume inside two solids is V = V1 + V2 - Voverlap, where V1 and V2 are the volumes of the individual solids, and Voverlap is the volume of the overlapping region between the two solids.

2. How do you find the volume of the overlapping region between two solids?

The volume of the overlapping region between two solids can be found by using calculus or geometric methods, such as the method of cross-sections or the method of disks/washers. These methods involve integrating the area of the cross-sections or disks/washers over the length or height of the overlapping region.

3. Can the volume inside two solids be negative?

No, the volume inside two solids cannot be negative. Volume is a physical quantity that represents the amount of space occupied by an object, and it cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the volume inside two solids change when the two solids are combined?

The volume inside two solids will generally increase when the two solids are combined. This is because the combined solid will occupy more space than the individual solids, due to the overlapping region. However, in some cases, the volume may decrease if the overlapping region is smaller than the combined volume of the individual solids.

5. Can the volume inside two solids be greater than the sum of the volumes of the individual solids?

Yes, the volume inside two solids can be greater than the sum of the volumes of the individual solids. This is because when the two solids are combined, the overlapping region may create additional space that is not accounted for in the volumes of the individual solids.