How often do you wash your clothes?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'm a bit neurotic. I wash all my clothes (even if I only wore them once) and my sheets weekly. I also air them out every other day if I can. In summary, people who don't wash their clothes often are usually male, and women have a more sensitive sense of smell. T-shirts are usually worn only a few times, and jeans are usually worn only a few times before washing. Sheets are usually washed once a week.
edward said:
Anyone remember starch? That stufff will make clean pants stand up on their own. It used to be mandatory in the military.:yuck:
My dad was (is) tough as nails and quit school to join airborne in WWII. Starch and wool both bothered his skin terribly. I share his sensitivity, and can't bear to wear wool or stiff clothes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I was amazed when I saw this article that said that you should wear pants and shirts/blouses 4-5 times before washing. :eek:

I would *never* consider that with clothes I wear to work. Clothes pick up smells, it's not a matter of do they look dirty. After work each day, my clothes go into the dirty clothes hamper. The exception is a suit jacket which I will wear several times before sending to the dry cleaners.
This doesn't apply to mountain climbing (that is going alpine) btw. :biggrin:

Shirts, socks, undies only ever get worn once per washing (unless it's a stinky pyjama day). Pants will go a couple of days.

nucleargirl said:
when I was working at the slave-labour bakery I didnt wash my clothes for nearly a week of wear. what's the point? as soon as I start working all new clothes would smell of bakery anyway. and sweat is 'clean!' as long as you let it dry so no bacteria grows, its ok! actually I knew I smelled but I just didnt care anymore! grrr! they deserved to have smelly employees!

Ah. Now we have the answer to why https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=464326" was needed...
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
And when you attempt to wash them, if they should run away from you -- then, you have waited too long.

In that case I'll let it go. There is plenty of new pants in the store.

Jackets and sweaters, usually seasonal.

Pants, every 5 wears (I dress informally half the time).

Bed linen, every 2 weeks.

Shirts, socks, undies, hand towels, every week.

Now I have hung out my dirty laundry for all PF to see!:yuck:

The laundry wrinkles less if I ride along.:rofl:

God...I'm almost embarrased to say that I wore the same uniform for 4 weeks in basic training because I didn't want to have to refold and all that every 2 days. Frebreeze was my best friend...

Nowadays I wear my shirts, socks, and underwear once before they get washed. The only exceptions is maybe on the weekends when I'm lazy, or a shirt that I put on after work one day I'll use the next again.

Obviously, if something actually gets dirty and smelly I'll wash it before I wear it again. And I'm a firm believer that most women have better smells than men. So if that guy next to you is smelly, he probably doesn't even know about it.

Loren Booda said:
Bed linen, every 2 weeks (except with a certain visitor).

*wink wink*

Wish I had a visitor in my bed other than my hairy cat... :frown:

Loren Booda said:
Shirts, socks, undies, hand towels, every week.

I assume that's when you wash them, not when you change them (which is the underlying issue in this thread by the look of it)?

Drakkith said:
*wink wink*

Wish I had a visitor in my bed other than my hairy cat... :frown:

(For some reasons) I just stopped sleeping on my bed.

Sourabh N said:
(For some reasons) I just stopped sleeping on my bed.

Huh?

Drakkith said:
...I wore the same uniform for 4 weeks...

Drakkith said:
...Wish I had a visitor in my bed other than my hairy cat...

Coincidence? :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Coincidence? :wink:

According to my ex GF she liked my "smell".

Maybe she was a sasquatch though...I'll have to investigate this...

Drakkith said:
:frown:

:)))) awww...

I'm a bit weird, I wash stuff when it needs washing.
Personally I think people who wash stuff after one wear are off their rocker (no offence intended :tongue:).
So that is a minimum of a week for most items,often months for outer garments, but they would not be worn every day. It is a waste of time and energy and damages clothes.
All those cleaning products are also bad for you I believe, making you more likely to develop stuff like allergies and asthma.

As I wash myself daily there really is no problem.

I wash them when it's convenient. My 8-10 gym shirts will see more washes in their lifetimes than all my other shirts and pants combined.

Daily: socks and underwear; t-shirts if I've been at the gym in them

Every other day: t-shirts

Once or twice a week: pants, outer shirts (if worn often), sheets and pillow cases, bathroom towel, kitchen hand towel, dish towel.

As required: Jackets, shoes, hats, gloves

mugaliens said:
Daily: socks and underwear; t-shirts if I've been at the gym in them

Every other day: t-shirts

Once or twice a week: pants, outer shirts (if worn often), sheets and pillow cases, bathroom towel, kitchen hand towel, dish towel.

As required: Jackets, shoes, hats, gloves

Good to see you, mugs :smile:!

Can you wash clothes? :biggrin: