Is the Job Market for Physicists Better Outside of America?

In summary, the job market for physicists in America is difficult, with many grad students spending 5-10 years in post-doctoral work before obtaining a more permanent position. Grant money is also a concern, as it can limit the type of research that can be pursued. However, the job market is not necessarily better in other parts of the world, particularly in developed countries. The author also notes the issue of poor writing skills in grant proposals, which can hinder the chances of obtaining funding.
Gypsie
I'm fully aware after having read through various forums and articles online by people who know what they are talking about that the job market for physicists, at least in America, is awful. Most grad students nowadays end up spending 5-10 years doing post-doctoral work, and when they finally do get a permanent (or at least more permanent than a post-doc position) job, they have to worry about getting grant money, which usually dictates what research they will be doing (It's hard to get grant money for really original ideas, even if they could be very insightful, as they are yet unproven to work).

So my question is this:

Is the job market for physicists any better in other parts of the world?

Physics news on Phys.org
The job market for physicists is not awful. What is awful is the job market when one of the conditions is "I want to direct my own research program". Apart from two brief windows, one in the 40's and one in the 50's, it has always been awful.

It is also not any harder to get grant money for "truly original ideas". I don't know why you would think so.

To answer your question, things are difficult everywhere in the 1st world. It's easier to find work in developing countries, but of course that comes with its own set of challenges.

I have personally reviewed grant proposals (not for physics, but nevertheless, they were grant requests). It is appalling how poorly so many supposedly educated people write.

It seems we have found a system that can even educate a moron. The problem is that, having gone through it, everyone begins to sound like the lowest common denominator.

Please understand, I am not a shining example of literacy. However, when reading these proposals, I was shocked that the people who wrote them had no idea of who their audience was, what sorts of things we would like to have known, or why the grant money was there in the first place. Besides obvious problems with jargon, the poor grammar, poor spelling and poor sentence structure made an awful impression on us.

These are the problems that grant managers see far too often. You have to be a bit of a salesman when pitching for grant money. Schools don't teach you that. You learn it the hard way. Welcome to the school of hard knocks.

What is meant by "The Job Market Elsewhere"?

"The Job Market Elsewhere" refers to the current state of job opportunities and employment trends outside of one's current location or country. This could include different regions, states, or even countries.

What are the factors that contribute to the job market elsewhere?

The job market elsewhere can be influenced by a variety of factors, including economic conditions, industry demands, population growth, and government policies. These factors can vary greatly between different locations and can impact the types and availability of jobs in a particular area.

How do I research the job market elsewhere?

To research the job market elsewhere, you can start by looking at job listings and industry news in the desired location. You can also network with professionals in your field who are located in other areas to gain insight into the job market. Additionally, researching demographic and economic data can also provide valuable information about the job market elsewhere.

What are the benefits of considering the job market elsewhere?

Considering the job market elsewhere can open up new opportunities and potentially lead to better job prospects and career growth. It can also provide a wider range of industries and companies to choose from, and may offer higher salaries and better benefits in certain locations.

What are the challenges of relocating for a job in "The Job Market Elsewhere"?

Relocating for a job in the job market elsewhere can come with challenges such as adjusting to a new location, adapting to a different work culture, and potential expenses associated with moving. Additionally, obtaining necessary visas or work permits may be required for international job opportunities.