Could gravity affect human evolution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the Earth and Moon becoming a true double planetary system in the distant future and whether this would have an effect on the height of humans. It is noted that this event would take billions of years and the gravitational effect would be very weak, making it unlikely to have any significant impact on human height.
YoungDreamer
I am wondering if millions of years from now if the Earth and Moon became a true double planetary system, where one side of each body continually face each other, if it could have affects on the height of humans. If people living on the "lunar side" would be taller on average than people on the opposite side of Earth because of the extra permanent affects of the Moons gravity?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
YoungDreamer said:
I am wondering if millions of years from now if the Earth and Moon became a true double planetary system, where one side of each body continually face each other, if it could have affects on the height of humans. If people living on the "lunar side" would be taller on average than people on the opposite side of Earth because of the extra permanent affects of the Moons gravity?

I'm not sure that locking the orbits would make the Earth-Moon system a "true double planetary system", but I could me mistaken about some definition involved.

That aside, I don't think you would get the gravitation affect you describe any more than we currently would with a full Moon directly overhead or directly beneath our feet. You are in free fall (and therefor weightless) with respect to the Moon.

If this were to happen it wouldn't be a product of evolution, biological evolution refers to inheritable traits with variation under environmental attrition. I'm not sure how to work it out but I suppose the lunar side would have slightly weaker gravity than the other side.

However how long away is this event? I doubt homo sapiens will be here in millions of years (some of our descendants might but that's another discussion)

YoungDreamer said:

A couple of points.
It would take billions, not millions of years for this to happen.
Our Sun will expand into a red giant before it can happen.
The Moon would have to be further away from the Earth when it happens, lessening its gravitational effect on the Earth from what its now.
The gravitational effect that we do feel on the Surface of the Earth is due to tidal effects, which actually pull outward on both the Lunar side and Anti-lunar side. (this is why we get two high tides a day.)
Even today, this tidal pull is very weak. The difference in the weight of your body with it and without it works out to something like 1/50th of an ounce. Maintaining a short haircut would have more effect on your on your weight. So, no, you would not expect to see any difference in height in people depending on where they live.

I can say that gravity does play a role in human evolution. However, the scenario you have described is highly unlikely to occur in the near future. The Earth and Moon have been in a stable orbit for millions of years and there is no evidence to suggest that this will change in the foreseeable future.

That being said, gravity does have an impact on human evolution in several ways. The first is through natural selection. Gravity affects the physical environment in which humans live and this can influence which traits are advantageous for survival. For example, living in a mountainous region with higher gravity may lead to the development of stronger leg muscles and denser bones to support movement and stability.

Additionally, gravity also affects the growth and development of organisms. In humans, gravity plays a role in bone density, muscle strength, and overall body shape. It is possible that in a scenario where one side of the Earth is constantly facing the Moon, there may be some slight differences in the physical traits of humans living on that side. However, this would likely be a small and gradual change over many generations, rather than a sudden and significant shift in height.

Overall, while gravity does play a role in human evolution, the scenario you have described is highly unlikely to occur and would not have a major impact on human height. Evolution is a complex process influenced by many factors, and it is important to consider all of them when discussing the potential impact of gravity on human evolution.

1. How does gravity affect human evolution?

Gravity has a significant impact on human evolution. The constant force of gravity has shaped the way our bodies have evolved over time, influencing our skeletal structure, muscle development, and even brain size.

2. Can gravity influence the height of humans?

Yes, gravity plays a crucial role in determining the height of humans. The force of gravity pulls us down towards the ground, and this pressure on our bones and joints can lead to changes in height over time.

3. Does living in different gravitational environments affect human evolution?

Yes, living in different gravitational environments can have a significant impact on human evolution. For example, astronauts who spend extended periods in space experience changes in their bone density and muscle mass due to the lower gravity.

4. Is it possible for gravity to cause changes in human DNA and genetics?

While gravity itself does not directly cause changes in human DNA and genetics, it can indirectly influence them. The physical stresses and pressures caused by gravity can lead to mutations in DNA and affect gene expression, potentially impacting human evolution.

5. How has human adaptation to different gravitational environments affected our evolution?

The human ability to adapt to different gravitational environments has played a significant role in our evolution. For example, our ancestors' ability to walk upright and adapt to the constant force of gravity has led to the development of our unique skeletal structure and bipedal locomotion.