What is Colorless? Exploring Solubility of Silicon Dioxide

• Thread starter SMD1990
  • Start date
In summary, the table in the CRC Handbook lists sodium carbonate as white, yet sodium chloride as colorless. This struck me as odd, so I asked the other person about it. They said that "colorless" means transparent to light, and that large crystals of sodium chloride appear much more transparent than those of sodium carbonate.
SMD1990
The other day, I went to a local library to look at the CRC Handbook. I was trying to find out about the solubility of silicon dioxide.

Anyway, I noticed that sodium chloride was listed as "colorless". This struck me as odd. I had always considered it as white.

The table seemed to differentiate between white and colorless. It listed sodium carbonate as white, yet sodium chloride as colorless.

So, my question is: What is "colorless"? I agree that Na2CO3 is white, but all the crystals if NaCl I have ever seen... I would not describe them as clear or colorless.

Silicon dioxide is also listed as colorless. However, large crystals of it appear much more transparent than those of sodium chloride.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I suspect in the same sense that snowflakes appear white, yet are really colourless.

Truly white objects actually reflect all wavelengths of light (their atomic bonds do not absorb any frequencies). Colourless objects do not reflect the light, they are transparent to light, letting all frequencies pass - however due to their physical structure, that light is scattered so that it is not coherently transmitted.

So: colour white is a molecular thing, colourless-but-white is a scattering thing.

The difference is that, if you take the colourless material and alter its physical structure without any change to its chemical structure, you can see that it's colourless. In chemistry, we'd want to now its true colour when not masked by its temporary crystalline structure.

If you grow a large enough crystal of NaCl, you will see that it is indeed transparent. As DaveC426913 mentioned, the small NaCl crystals you commonly encounter in salt shakers appear white because they scatter light.

That is great to hear! I was wondering if maybe there was some sort of impurity in my water, or something. Or else, that "colorless" did not mean what I would have thought.

Thus far, the largest crystals of sodium chloride I have grown have only been maybe 8 mm3. (Grown by accident in a glass of salt water that evaporated.) Still, quite white.

But, based on your replies, it sounds like an even larger one should be more "glass" like.

Come to think of it, the salt in that glass of salty water might not have been exactly pure...

SMD1990 said:
But, based on your replies, it sounds like an even larger one should be more "glass" like.

It is not the size that is important, really, but the quality of the crystal. Defects in the crystal are what scatter the light.

Imagine you had a big piece of glass that is perfectly clear (and colorless). Now imagine that you crack the glass in many places, sort of like the cracks in the glass windshield in http://atlanticcustomsautoglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/My-Broken-Windshield.jpg" . Those cracks scatter light in all directions, making it look white, when in fact it is still the same clear glass it was before. The more cracks you have, the more it scatters light, and the more the clear object looks white.
"Cracks" are just one type of defect that a crystal might have that could scatter light.

If you are looking at a white crystal of sodium chloride, for example, then you know that there must be a lot of defects in its crystal structure that are acting to scatter the light, you just cannot see most of them because they are incredibly small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider the picture of salt crystals for wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Halit-Kristalle.jpg

Many of the crystals are transparent. Some of the crystal show transparent regions and cloudy white regions. The cloudy white regions contain the defects that mrjeffy321 is talking about. You can see similar phenomena occur with water ice cubes. Sometimes the ice cubes are transparent and sometimes they appear white and cloudy.

Hey, those salt plates are pretty neat! Kind of like what I was wanting to grow, only simpler in shape and much smaller in size.

How durable are they? Comparable to glass with similar dimensions?

They are hygroscopic (absorb water readily from the air), and fairly prone to fracturing. I had NaCl windows on a vacuum chamber in my lab, and my grad student pumped the chamber down too rapidly causing one window to fracture. It was actually pretty cool .. the window cracked along crystal planes so that the window was segmented into 4 (almost) perfect quarters.

Anyway, I would say they are far less durable than glass ... the amorphous structure of glass makes it fairly flexible compared to pure salt crystals. In my experience, crystals involving divalent ions (like MgF2, CaFs, ZnS and ZnSe) are more robust than those involving only monovalent ions (NaCl, KBr, CsCl, CsI).

1. What is colorless?

Colorless refers to a substance or material that has no apparent color. This means that the substance does not absorb or reflect any visible light, making it appear transparent or clear to the human eye.

2. What is the solubility of silicon dioxide?

The solubility of silicon dioxide, also known as silica, depends on the temperature and pH of the solution. At room temperature, it is insoluble in water and most organic solvents. However, it can dissolve in certain acids and bases under specific conditions.

3. How does the solubility of silicon dioxide affect its colorless nature?

The solubility of silicon dioxide plays a crucial role in its colorless nature. Since it is insoluble in water, it does not form a solution that can absorb or reflect any visible light, making it appear colorless. However, when it is dissolved in certain solvents, it can appear to have a slight color due to impurities or contaminants.

4. What is the significance of exploring the solubility of silicon dioxide?

Exploring the solubility of silicon dioxide is important for understanding its properties and potential uses. It is a key component in many industrial and consumer products, and its solubility can affect its functionality and effectiveness. Additionally, studying its solubility can also provide insights into the chemical and physical processes involved in dissolving this compound.

5. How can the solubility of silicon dioxide be measured?

The solubility of silicon dioxide can be measured using various techniques, such as gravimetric analysis, titration, or spectrophotometry. These methods involve dissolving a known amount of silicon dioxide in a solvent and determining the concentration of the resulting solution. Other factors, such as temperature and pH, may also need to be controlled and measured during the experiment.