What Temperature is Required to Break a Water Molecule?

In summary, when discussing the strength of bonds, it is important to differentiate between intermolecular forces and the covalent bonds between atoms. While intermolecular forces can weaken with increasing temperature, the covalent bond in a water molecule remains strong until heated to temperatures above 2000ºC, making it difficult to break the molecule apart. This suggests that covalent bonds may be stronger than ionic bonds, which are often seen as weaker due to their ability to be broken apart in an ionic lattice.
girlzrule786
Hello,
I was confused about which bond is stronger, ionic or covalent... thinking and searching about that, I found (or better, realized) that when we talk about the boiling point of water, its just that it's INTERMOLECULAR forces get weaker, not the covalent bond present between the ATOMS ...

coming to my question,
how much temperature needs to be provided to break a MOLECULE of water into its constituent elements?? I know it can also be done by electrolysis but i want to know what TEMPERATURE (or the extent, atleast)is required to break it...
If that temperature is very high (which i assume so), then does it mean that covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds (coz i hv always heard of breaking an ionic lattice but neva heard of breaking a water molecule... which means its quite difficult to do)

PS: please don't consider my mistake (if it is) using the word molecule for water instead of the word compound... I am not so sure about it...

Chemistry news on Phys.org

What is "Breaking the water molecule"?

Breaking the water molecule refers to the chemical process of separating the two hydrogen atoms from the one oxygen atom in a water molecule, resulting in the formation of hydrogen gas and oxygen gas.

Why is breaking the water molecule important?

Breaking the water molecule is important for a variety of reasons. It is a crucial step in the production of hydrogen gas, which can be used as a clean and renewable energy source. It also plays a key role in many biological processes, such as photosynthesis, respiration, and metabolism.

How is the water molecule broken?

The water molecule can be broken through a process called electrolysis, which involves passing an electric current through water. This causes the water molecules to split into hydrogen and oxygen atoms, which then collect at the respective electrodes.

What are the products of breaking the water molecule?

The products of breaking the water molecule are hydrogen gas and oxygen gas. These gases can then be collected and used for a variety of purposes, such as fuel for vehicles or energy storage.

What are the potential challenges or drawbacks of breaking the water molecule?

One potential challenge of breaking the water molecule is the high energy input required for the process. This can make it expensive and not yet economically viable for large-scale production. Additionally, the use of electrolysis for breaking water can also result in the production of greenhouse gases if the electricity used comes from fossil fuel sources.