Angular velocity and rotation matrix

In summary, the angular velocity can be expressed in terms of the rotation matrix and the angular speed.
srpvx
Hello. Sorry for my English

There are [itex]R[/itex] - rotation matrix (that performs transformation from associated coordinate system [itex]IE[/itex] to static coordinate system [itex]OI[/itex]) and [itex]\omega[/itex] - angular velocity. The matrix [itex]R[/itex] depends on parameters [itex]\xi[/itex] (for example, Euler angles). I need to express [itex]\omega[/itex] as function of [itex]\xi[/itex].

Let [itex]r^e[/itex] - components of vector [itex]r[/itex] in the associated coordinate system: [itex]r=Rr^{e}[/itex] and [itex]r^{e}=R^{T}r[/itex]. Than variation of vector [itex]r[/itex]:
[itex]\delta r=\sum_{i}\frac{\partial Rr^{e}}{\partial\xi_{i}}\delta\xi_{i}=[/itex] [itex]\sum_{i}\left(\frac{\partial R}{\partial\xi_{i}}\delta\xi_{i}\right)r^{e}=[/itex] [itex]\sum_{i}\left(\frac{\partial R}{\partial\xi_{i}}\delta\xi_{i}\right)R^{T}r[/itex]

On the other hand if I rotate [itex]r[/itex] about [itex]l[/itex] on angle [itex]\Delta\varphi[/itex] then variation of [itex]r[/itex] equals: [itex]\delta r=\Delta\varphi\left[l\times r\right]=\delta\varphi\times r[/itex], where [itex]\delta\varphi = \Delta \varphi l[/itex].

Comparing [itex]\delta r=\delta\varphi\times r[/itex] with [itex]\delta r=\sum_{i}\left(\frac{\partial R}{\partial\xi_{i}}\delta\xi_{i}\right)R^{T}r[/itex], we get the following expression for omega:
[itex]\omega = \frac{\delta \varphi}{d t}[/itex]
[itex]\left[\omega\times\right]=\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 & -\omega_{3} & \omega_{2}\\
\omega_{3} & 0 & -\omega_{1}\\
-\omega_{2} & \omega_{1} & 0\end{array}\right)=\sum_{i}\left(\frac{\partial R}{\partial\xi_{i}}\dot{\xi_{i}}\right)R^{T}[/itex]

Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the answer on my question at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity" :
It can be introduced from rotation matrices. Any vector [itex]\vec r[/itex] that rotates around an axis with an angular speed vector [itex]\vec \omega[/itex] (as defined before) satisfies:

[itex]\frac {d \vec r(t)} {dt} = \vec{\omega} \times\vec{r}[/itex]

We can introduce here the '''angular velocity tensor''' associated to the angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex]:

[itex]W(t) = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & -\omega_z(t) & \omega_y(t) \\
\omega_z(t) & 0 & -\omega_x(t) \\
-\omega_y(t) & \omega_x(t) & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

This tensor [itex]W(t)[/itex] will act as if it were a [itex](\vec \omega \times)[/itex] operator :

[itex]\vec \omega(t) \times \vec{r}(t) = W(t) \vec{r}(t) [/itex]

Given the orientation matrix [itex]A(t)[/itex] of a frame, we can obtain its instant '''angular velocity tensor''' W as follows. We know that:

[itex]\frac {d \vec r(t)} {dt} = W \cdot \vec{r}[/itex]

As angular speed must be the same for the three vectors of a rotating frame [itex]A(t)[/itex], we can write for all the three:

[itex]\frac {dA(t)} {dt} = W \cdot A (t)[/itex]

And therefore the angular velocity tensor we are looking for is:

[itex]W = \frac {dA(t)} {dt} \cdot A^{-1}(t)[/itex]

But [itex]W[/itex] is not a tensor, [itex]W[/itex] is a pseudotensor: [itex]W_{ij} = e_{iwj} \omega_{w}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is usually denoted by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle (Δθ) by the change in time (Δt). This can be represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt.

3. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the rotation of an object in three-dimensional space. It is a square matrix with elements that represent the rotation of the object around each axis.

4. How is a rotation matrix used in relation to angular velocity?

A rotation matrix can be used to calculate the angular velocity of an object in three-dimensional space. By applying the rotation matrix to the object's position vector over a certain time interval, the resulting change in position can be used to determine the object's angular velocity.

5. What are the applications of angular velocity and rotation matrix in science?

Angular velocity and rotation matrix are used in various scientific fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. They are used to study the motion of objects, analyze rotational dynamics, and develop computer graphics and animations. They are also essential in understanding the Earth's rotation and the movement of celestial bodies in space.