Debrolie Redshift missing energy?

In summary: Frequency is a measure of how often a certain vibration or pattern is repeated, and light has a variety of waveforms including a continuous wave, a waveshape with a lot of peaks and valleys, and a waveshape with only a few peaks and valleys. Frequency is always an integer, but the different waveforms have different frequencies. that is a problem for me since that suggests that the debrolie wavelength changed which means that it should have changed its momentum.In summary, the wavelength of light from distant galaxies undergoes redshift due to the expanding universe, but this causes a problem because the momentum of the photons should not change. Additionally, the energy
JosephRombousky
I'm a college freshman at the moment, so perhaps I'm just missing something simple. But none of my professors can give me an actual answer.

If photons of light from distant galaxies undergo redshift because of the expanding universe.
Also since particles have a wavelength according to Debrolie's equation, then a particle's wavelength should change when it is coming from a distant galaxy.

that is a problem for me since that suggests that the debrolie wavelength changed which means that it should have changed its momentum.

But changing momentum is a violation of the law of conservation of momentum in this case.
Also where did that energy go?
speaking of which, were does the energy from the photons go in regular electromagnetic red shift?

another problem the debrolie wavelength gives me is, if a particle like a proton has a charge it should interact with its own electric field due to the hysterises of empty space.

please explain some of this to me

josephrombousky@gmail.com

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JosephRombousky said:
I'm a college freshman at the moment, so perhaps I'm just missing something simple. But none of my professors can give me an actual answer.

If photons of light from distant galaxies undergo redshift because of the expanding universe.
Also since particles have a wavelength according to Debrolie's equation, then a particle's wavelength should change when it is coming from a distant galaxy.

that is a problem for me since that suggests that the debrolie wavelength changed which means that it should have changed its momentum.

But changing momentum is a violation of the law of conservation of momentum in this case.
speaking of which, were does the energy from the photons go in regular electromagnetic red shift?

Er... what do you mean by "change"? The wavelength and energy didn't just "change" while it is making its way from the source. These things were shifted UPON emission. It didn't just transform itself along the way. The photons were BORN that way as viewed from the observer's reference frame! So consider the drifting galaxy's motion as the "recoil" if you like.

Zz.

JosephRombousky said:

Nope.Louis de Broglie said in his PhD:[tex]\lambda=\frac{h}{p} [/tex].So the wavelength varies,only if the momentum (speed) of the particle changes.In their year-long travel to our eyes,those photons do not practically interact with any other particles,so their wavelength (in their own reference system) remains the same.What we perceive,instead,is not that wavelength given by de Broglie formula,but a modified one,basically by two RELATIVISTIC factors (i'm speaking about photons):the Doppler-Fizeau effect (studied by SR) and the gravitational redshift (theoretically justified by Einstein in November 25th,1915).But i repeat,in THEIR OWN REFERENCE SYSTEM,THE WAVELENGTH IS CONSTANT AND INVERSE PROPORTIONAL WITH THE MOMENTUM,AS STATED by Louis de Broglie in November 1924.

JosephRombousky said:

Nowhere,it stayed with the photon.

JosephRombousky said:
another problem the debrolie wavelength gives me is, if a particle like a proton has a charge it should interact with its own electric field due to the hysterises of empty space.

1.What has de Broglie wavelength got to do with the charge (which charge,probably electric,hypercharge,isospin,color,...)??
2.Assuming you're speaking about the electric charge,the inteaction of the proton with its electric field is stated by the laws of classical electrodynamics,so de Broglie wavelength is not in the picture...If you're speaking about the interaction between a fermionic 1/2 field and the electromagnetic vacuum,that's something else,and no mean to offend you in any way,but,seeing that simple topics like de Broglie's law give you headaches,you wouldn't understand neither the physics,nor the mathematics behind QED.I think...You're a freshman,right?So my assertion basically makes sense...

Daniel. :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks alot. Sorry if it was something of silly questions but all I have is chemistry at the moment and personally I'm a physics major. So i have read a lot of books on physics but some things just never get cleared up. Also chemists trying to explain debrolie wavelength just ruins all the life in the topic. They never made any refrence to the refrence frames at all, but that makes a lot of sence.

and dextercioby it doesn't give me a headache cause i don't understand it, it gives me a headache because I could never find anyone to clear up the little issues.

Thank you

Actually on another side note.

I know E=h/f and my older physics teachers told me frequency was always an integer(or at least in all the problems we've used F was always a whole number integer). But that never made sense to me.

didn't make any sense because you would get harmonics with every wavelength of light over a long enough distance.

Last edited:
One thing I think that is being missed here is that the redshift under discussion is NOT Doppler shift and it is NOT gravitational redshift it is cosmological redshift and it is not caused by radial motion.

My answer then is a departure from the previous two answers as you've made a big assumption i.e. that energy-momentum IS conserved. Remember that general relativity allows us to treat all frames with equality and there is no physical theory (as far as I know anyway) that allows energy to be conserved in all frames, so the conservation of energy is not a general law in general relativity. In fact energy itself is not even a well-defined general concept in GR.

So to answer your question the energy just disappears (though I quickly checked this answer and there seems to be a school of thought that this energy becomes graviational potential energy).

1. What is "Debrolie Redshift missing energy"?

"Debrolie Redshift missing energy" refers to a phenomenon observed in the study of redshift, which is the shift in the wavelengths of light emitted from distant objects in the universe. The missing energy, also known as the redshift anomaly, refers to the discrepancy between the amount of energy expected to be observed in the redshifted light and the actual amount of energy detected.

2. What causes the missing energy in Debrolie Redshift?

The exact cause of the missing energy in Debrolie Redshift is still a subject of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it could be due to the expansion of the universe, while others propose that it could be caused by dark energy or modifications to the laws of physics at large scales.

3. How is the missing energy in Debrolie Redshift measured?

The missing energy in Debrolie Redshift is measured by comparing the expected energy levels of light emitted from distant objects with the actual energy levels observed. This is done using spectroscopy, which involves breaking down light into its component wavelengths and analyzing the patterns of absorption and emission lines.

4. What implications does the missing energy in Debrolie Redshift have for our understanding of the universe?

The missing energy in Debrolie Redshift presents a challenge to our current understanding of the universe and its expansion. If confirmed to be a real phenomenon, it could require a re-evaluation of our current theories and possibly lead to new discoveries about the nature of the universe and its evolution.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or experiments to further investigate the missing energy in Debrolie Redshift?

Yes, there are several ongoing studies and experiments to further investigate the missing energy in Debrolie Redshift. These include observations using advanced telescopes and instruments, as well as theoretical studies and simulations. The results of these studies could provide valuable insights into this intriguing phenomenon.