Solid angle & flux out of cone

In summary, the conversation is about understanding solid angles and how to calculate the flux crossing a 3D shape formed by rotating an arc. The person is seeking help in translating the flux from a 2D to 3D shape and is unsure about how to do so. They mention using the solid angle and multiplying it by the flux, but there is confusion about the zero thickness line in the problem.
mathkid81
Hi,

I was reading my astrophysics textbook and came across solid angles. I'm not sure I fully understand, for example there was a problem in the book that went as follows.

The attached "math.jpg" shows a light source (yellow) in the centre of an arc. The problem is 2D, but the arc is rotated about the x-axis to form a 3D sphere. I have the flux (F photons/sec) crossing the red line (hight h cm, zero thickness). But how do I translate that into the flux crossing the entire area after it's been rotated to be 3D.

I guess it would form a cone shape and I want the area of the face of that cone or something. So do I need to multiply the flux by the solid angle? In this case would that be 4*pi*r^2?

"math2.jpg" would represent the same problem, but just showing the cone bit. So again I have the flux crossing line of length h and zero thickness. And I want the flux that would come out of the entire cone.

I hope that makes sense. I would really appreciate any help please.

Thank you.

Attachments

• math.jpg
    math.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 534
  • math2.jpg
    math2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mathkid81! welcome to pf! :smile:
mathkid81 said:
I have the flux (F photons/sec) crossing the red line (hight h cm, zero thickness).

sorry, but this doesn't make sense :confused:

nothing will cross a line of zero thickness :redface:

where exactly does this problem come from?

1. What is solid angle and how is it different from regular angle?

Solid angle is a measure of the size of an object as seen from a particular point in space. It is different from regular angle in that it takes into account not only the direction of the object, but also its size. Regular angle only considers the direction of an object.

2. How is solid angle calculated?

Solid angle is calculated by dividing the surface area of a portion of a sphere by the square of its radius. The resulting unit for solid angle is steradians.

3. What is flux out of a cone?

Flux out of a cone is a measure of the amount of particles or energy passing through a cone-shaped surface. It takes into account not only the size of the cone, but also the direction and intensity of the particles or energy passing through it.

4. How is flux out of a cone related to solid angle?

Flux out of a cone is directly proportional to solid angle. This means that as the solid angle increases, the flux out of the cone also increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life applications of solid angle and flux out of cone?

Some real-life applications of solid angle and flux out of cone include measuring the amount of radiation emitted by a light source, calculating the energy received by a solar panel, and determining the concentration of pollutants in a specific area.