Quantum mechanics, potential barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Schrödinger's equation for a particle of mass m approaching a unidimensional barrier potential. The transmission coefficient is calculated for two cases, and a hint is given to check quantum mechanics books for more information. The speaker also mentions reaching different results than what is stated in a book, and the need to modify the wave function in the region II to account for reflections. Ultimately, the transmission coefficient is determined to be |F/A|2.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m goes toward the unidimensional barrier potential of the form [itex]V(x)=0[/itex] for [itex]x\leq 0[/itex] and [itex]a\leq x[/itex] and [itex]V(x)=V_0[/itex] for [itex]0<x<a[/itex].
1)Write the corresponding Schrödinger's equation.
2)Calculate the transmission coefficient for the cases [itex]0<E<V_0[/itex] and [itex]E>V_0[/itex]. Hint: Check out quantum mechanics books.

Homework Equations

Schrödinger's equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the Schrödinger's equation for Psi.
The result I have is
[itex]\Psi _I (x)=Ae^{ik_1 x}+Be^{-i _k1x}[/itex]
[itex]\Psi _{II}(x)=De^{-k_2x}[/itex]
[itex]\Psi _{III}(x)=Fe^{ik_1x}[/itex].
The continuity conditions give:
(1) [itex]A+B=D[/itex].
(2) [itex]i k_1 A-i k_1 B=-k_2 D[/itex].
(3) [itex]De^{-k_2a}=Fe^{ik_1a}[/itex]
(4) [itex]-k_2 De^{-ak_2}=ik_1 Fe^{ik_1a}[/itex].

I isolated B in function of A. I reached [itex]B=A \cdot \frac{\left (1 +\frac{ik_1}{k_2} \right ) }{ \left ( \frac{ik_1}{k_2} -1\right )}[/itex].
Since [itex]D=A+B[/itex], I got D in function of A only.
And since [itex]F=De^{-a(k_2+ik_1)}[/itex], I reached F in function of A only.
Now the coefficient of transmission is [itex]\frac{F}{A}[/itex]. This gives me [itex]\left [ 1+ \frac{\left ( 1+ \frac{ik_1}{k_2} \right ) }{\left ( \frac{ik_1}{k_2}-1 \right ) } \right ] e^{-a(k_2+i_k1)}[/itex].
I checked out in Cohen-Tanoudji's book about this and... he says that F/A represent the transmission coeffient just like me but then in the algebra, he does [itex]T= \big | \frac{F}{A} \big | ^2[/itex]. He reaches [itex]T=\frac{4k_1^2k_2^2}{4k_1^2k_2^2+(k_1^2-k_2^2)^2 \sin k_2 a}[/itex].
So I don't understand why he says F/A but does the modulus of it to the second power. And he seems to get a totally different answer from mine.
By the way my [itex]k_1=\sqrt {\frac{-2mE}{\hbar ^2}}[/itex] and my [itex]k_2=\sqrt {\frac{2m(V_0-E)}{\hbar ^2}}[/itex].
What am I doing wrong?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible to get reflections at x=a, so the region II wave function needs to be modified.

The transmission coefficient is |F/A|2.

fluidistic said:
I checked out in Cohen-Tanoudji's book about this and... he says that F/A represent the transmission coeffient just like me but then in the algebra
Where did he say this? I can never find anything in that encyclopedia of a textbook.

The closest thing I saw was that he said you could get the transmission coefficient from the ratio, but he never actually said the ratio itself was the transmission coefficient.

vela said:
It's possible to get reflections at x=a, so the region II wave function needs to be modified.

The transmission coefficient is |F/A|2.
Ah whoops, I totally missed this.
vela said:
Where did he say this? I can never find anything in that encyclopedia of a textbook.

The closest thing I saw was that he said you could get the transmission coefficient from the ratio, but he never actually said the ratio itself was the transmission coefficient.
Again oops once again. You're right, he says that the ratio allows us to determine the coefficients.
Ok I understand now why it's the modulus to the second power. I'll rework on that.

It seems like you have correctly solved for the wave function and have used the continuity conditions to determine the coefficients. However, when calculating the transmission coefficient, it is important to remember that the transmission coefficient is the ratio of the transmitted wave amplitude to the incident wave amplitude, which is given by the modulus squared of F/A. This is because the transmitted and incident waves are complex-valued and the transmission coefficient is a measure of the probability of transmission, which is always a positive real number.

In the book, the author has likely used the modulus squared notation to emphasize the fact that the transmission coefficient should be a positive real number. In addition, the author may have simplified the expression further using trigonometric identities to get the final result.

It is also possible that you have made a mistake in your calculations, which is why you are getting a different result from the book. I would suggest double-checking your algebra and calculations to make sure you have not made any mistakes.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and the solution. Keep up the good work and make sure to check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles of how particles interact and the probabilistic nature of their behavior.

What is a potential barrier?

A potential barrier is an energy barrier that prevents particles from moving freely in a certain region. It can be created by a change in the potential energy of a system, such as a sudden increase in the potential energy of an electron as it moves through a material.

How does quantum mechanics explain potential barriers?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described by wave functions that represent the probability of their position and momentum. When a particle encounters a potential barrier, its wave function will change to reflect the barrier's influence. This results in a probability of the particle either being reflected or transmitted through the barrier.

What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is the phenomenon where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of particles described by quantum mechanics.

Why is understanding potential barriers important in quantum mechanics?

Potential barriers are important in quantum mechanics because they play a crucial role in many physical processes, such as the behavior of electrons in semiconductors, the stability of atomic nuclei, and the functioning of quantum computers. Understanding potential barriers is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles on a quantum level.