Fermi energy (in semiconducors) vs. chemical potential

In summary: The Fermi energy is a concept introduced in a different course, and it is not the same as the chemical potential. The Fermi energy is the state of the highest energy electrons in a system. It is not a temperature dependent concept.
itaischles
Hi all,

In the solid state physics course I took a year ago we used the chemical potential μ which appeared inside the fermi-dirac distribution function to describe the energy that above it no electrons resides and below it they all reside as the temperature reaches 0 kelvin.
Now, when I started the semi-conductors course this year, we learned about the "Fermi energy" which was kind of defined the same way as the chemical potential (it even had the same place in the equation of the fermi-dirac function). In this course they told us that when you have donor atoms, and the temperature reached 0 kelvin the fermi energy sits in the middle between the bottom of the conduction band and the donors' energy level.
Now, I don't get it: why isn't the fermi energy sits at the donor's level? when the temperature reaches 0 kelvin, the semiconductor is in "freezeout" and all the donors' electrons are sitting in the donors' energy levels and are the highest energy electrons so I would expect that this will be the boundary of the fermi-dirac distribution discontinuity.
Also, is there any difference between the chemical potential and the fermi energy? And can the chemical potential/fermi energy depend on the temperature or are they defined only at 0 kelvin?
I know it's a lot to ask but please try and help me understand this :)

Likes Blue Painting
Physics news on Phys.org
I just read up on a wiki, because I liked your question and I wanted to test if I could understand it. How does this sound? The wave properties of an electron manifest stationary states when they are bound, like the covalent bonds, but higher up in the conduction band electrons effectively overlap their wave functions and become free, so these are not quantised in the same way. For the Fermi layer, the Pauli exclusion principle means that adding electrons to these kinds of bound states forces them to occupy higher energy levels. Mixing two systems together would cause a redistribution of electrons, so you can see how that is a chemical/thermodynamic type of potential. The Fermi energy is the highest electron state added so these are the current potential state of those electrons, and apparently they have some dynamics even approaching zero so they are effectively thermally characterised.

The question has been asked frequently. Consult previous posts, or may be Chapter 28 in solid state physics by Ashcroft and Mermin.
In summary: referring to the chemical potential in semiconductors as "the Fermi level" is an unfortunate practice.

1. What is the difference between Fermi energy and chemical potential in semiconductors?

Fermi energy is a concept in quantum mechanics that represents the maximum energy that an electron in a system can have at absolute zero temperature. It is a characteristic of the material and depends on its electronic structure. On the other hand, chemical potential is a thermodynamic concept that represents the energy required to add an electron to a system. In semiconductors, the Fermi energy and chemical potential can be different due to the presence of impurities and defects.

2. How are Fermi energy and chemical potential related in semiconductors?

In an intrinsic semiconductor, where there are no impurities, the Fermi energy and chemical potential are equal. This is because the number of electrons and holes in the material is equal, and their energy levels are balanced. However, in doped semiconductors, the Fermi energy and chemical potential can be different due to the presence of extra electrons or holes introduced by the impurities.

3. How does the Fermi energy affect the electronic properties of a semiconductor?

The position of the Fermi energy in a semiconductor affects the probability of an electron being in a particular energy state. A higher Fermi energy means that more energy states are occupied, which leads to a higher electrical conductivity. On the other hand, a lower Fermi energy means that fewer energy states are occupied, resulting in lower conductivity.

4. Can the Fermi energy in a semiconductor be changed?

Yes, the Fermi energy in a semiconductor can be changed by altering the temperature or by introducing impurities. At higher temperatures, more electrons can occupy higher energy states, leading to an increase in the Fermi energy. Introducing impurities can also change the Fermi energy by altering the number of electrons in the material.

5. How is the Fermi energy in a semiconductor measured?

The Fermi energy in a semiconductor can be measured using various techniques such as Hall effect, capacitance-voltage measurements, and photoluminescence spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the electrical properties or the energy levels of the material to determine the position of the Fermi energy.