Classify the origin of the system and draw the phase portrait

In summary, the phase portrait for the system xdot = [1 2; 2 1]x can be classified as a saddle point, with eigenvalues of -1 and 3. The general solution for the system is x = c1*exp(-t) + c2*exp(t) and y = -c1*exp(-t) + c2*exp(t), and the origin is neither a repeller nor an attractor. To better understand the flow of the system, a phase portrait can be drawn using the provided code.
bjohnson2001

Homework Statement

Draw the phase portrait and classify the origin of the system:

xdot = [1 2; 2 1]x

Homework Equations

characteristic equation:

det(A-lambda*I) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

First find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors:

det(A-lambda*I) = (lambda+1)(lambda-3) = 0

we can see that the eigenvalues are:

lambda_1 = -1 and lambda_2 = 3

for lambda_1 = -1: 2*k1 + 2*k2 = 0
k1 = -k2

when k1 = 1, k2 = - 1 the related eigenvector is (1; -1)

for lambda_2 = 3: -2*k1 + 2*k2 = 0
k1 = k2

when k1 = 1, k2 = 1 the eigenvector is K2 = (1; 1)

since the matrix of coefficeints is a 2x2 matrix and since we found two linearly independent solutions,

the general solution of the system is:

X = c1*X1 + c2*X2 = c1*(1;-1)*exp(-t) + c2*(1; 1)*exp(t)
or
x = c1*exp(-t) + c2*exp(t)
y = -c1*exp(-t) + c2*exp(t)

We can classify the origin as neither a repeller nor an attractor.

Is this correct?

Also I feel like I need to provide more information when classifying the origin but I don't know what. For instance should I call the origin a saddle point because it has eigenvalues of different polarities?

Attachments

• phase plane.png
    phase plane.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
The origin is a saddle. Also, I think you should draw a better phase portrait showing the flow in all four quadrants. Here's the code if you wish to do so in Mathematica but I don't think you can run it in Alpha:

StreamPlot[{x+2y,2x+y},{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2}]

1. What is the purpose of classifying the origin of a system and drawing its phase portrait?

Classifying the origin of a system and drawing its phase portrait is important for understanding the behavior and dynamics of a system. It allows us to visualize the possible states and trajectories of the system and make predictions about its behavior.

2. How do you determine the origin of a system?

The origin of a system is determined by identifying the equilibrium points, or the points at which the system remains stable and does not change over time. These points can be found by setting the rate of change equations equal to zero and solving for the variables.

3. What is a phase portrait?

A phase portrait is a visual representation of the possible states and trajectories of a system. It is a plot of the system's variables against each other, usually in the form of a graph or diagram, which shows how the system behaves over time.

4. How do you draw a phase portrait?

To draw a phase portrait, you first need to determine the origin of the system and identify any equilibrium points. Then, you plot the system's variables on a graph and draw the trajectories based on the system's rate of change equations. The direction and shape of the trajectories will depend on the stability of the equilibrium points.

5. Why is it important to classify the origin of a system?

Classifying the origin of a system allows us to determine the stability and behavior of the system. It helps us understand how the system will respond to different inputs and how it may change over time. This information is crucial for making predictions and designing control strategies for the system.