Sawtooth Wave after Rectification

• Thread starter roro36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation is about an induction furnace at work and using a digital scope to take readings from the rectifier circuit. The output voltage is controlled by turning on the SCRs at the correct time in the AC line cycle. The circuit is also similar to ones used for motor speed controls and light dimmers. The voltage should be rising and decaying at a specific rate depending on the load and filter capacitance. The traces on the scope show a cycling between 200 and 530 volts every 3.3 milliseconds, and the circuit appears to have a load of about 1/10 amp per microfarad. The circuit may be difficult to measure with an old-fashioned line-powered scope due to grounding issues.
roro36
We have an induction furnace that I try and maintain at work. I use a digital scope to take readings from around the machine when there is a fault. I have taken readings from the recifier circuit and the waveform is what comes out. With a lage capacitor bank at the output I would have thought that the voltage would be almost purely DC? Any explanation?

Attachments

• after diode rect.bmp
    252.1 KB · Views: 614
  • Bridge.png
    Bridge.png
    28 KB · Views: 608
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like a phase controlled rectifier. The 6 SCRs serve as rectifiers, but they don't carry current until activated. The DC voltage should be present after the inductors and across the three capacitors on the right.

A control circuit typically sends pulses to turn on the SCRs at the correcyt time in the AC line cycle. By varying when the SCRs are turned on, the output voltage is controlled.

A much simplier version of this circuit is used for motor speed controls and light dimmers.

how much load is on that circuit?

what i think you ought to see is voltage rising to peak* six times per line cycle
then decaying at rate : volts per second = (load in amps) / (filter capacitance in farads)

do i read 'scope right?
is it cycling between about 200 and 530 volts? every 3.3 milisec?

looks like maybe a 600 volt 50hz supply with load of about 1/10 amp per microfarad?

and your 388 Vrms reading includes the DC component (true RMS) ?

* (value it rises to will depend on where in line cycle the SCR fires. )

are these traces from one of those modern battery powered handneld 'scopes?
Your circuit looks like it could be difficult to measure with an old fashioned line powered 'scope because it's not obvious whether it's grounded..

old jim

1. What is a sawtooth wave after rectification?

A sawtooth wave after rectification is a type of electrical signal that has a triangular shape, similar to the teeth of a saw, after being passed through a rectifier. This means that the negative portion of the signal is inverted to become positive, resulting in a continuous, symmetrical wave.

2. How is a sawtooth wave after rectification created?

A sawtooth wave after rectification is created by passing an AC (alternating current) signal through a rectifier, which converts the negative portion of the signal into a positive portion. This results in a waveform that has a triangular shape with a gradual rise and a sudden drop.

3. What is the purpose of rectifying a sawtooth wave?

The purpose of rectifying a sawtooth wave is to convert it into a unidirectional, continuous signal. This is useful in many applications, such as in power supplies and audio amplifiers, where a steady, positive voltage is required.

4. What are the characteristics of a sawtooth wave after rectification?

A sawtooth wave after rectification has a constant amplitude and a continuous, symmetrical triangular shape. It also has a DC (direct current) component, unlike the original AC signal.

5. How is a sawtooth wave after rectification different from other types of waveforms?

A sawtooth wave after rectification is different from other types of waveforms, such as sine, square, or triangular waves, because of its specific shape and the presence of a DC component. It also has a unique sound quality, which makes it useful in audio applications, such as in synthesizers and electronic music.