Practical, interesting chemistry book

In summary, the speaker has taken general and organic chemistry courses, but doesn't feel like they have a practical understanding of how chemistry is used in real life. They are looking for a book that explains the chemistry of common things and experiments at a more advanced level. The recommended website offers practical chemistry resources, as well as resources for other scientific subjects. The speaker mentions that they may not have learned much applicable information in their remaining chemistry class, and the other person suggests taking more specialized courses for a better understanding of practical chemistry.
Null_
I have taken general chem 1&2 and orgo chem 1&2, but I honestly don't know how the chemistry I know relates or is used in anything. I can write page long synthesis and mechanisms, but I don't really know what I'm making, if it's safe, or if it's impossible. I only have one chemistry class left for my degree, and I doubt I'll learn much applicable stuff there.

I am looking for a book that tells about the chemistry of common things and experiments and is written for someone who has a good understanding of chemistry. I don't want a book explaining what electrons are, but it may be at a children's level.

Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most labs should have helped with gaining some insight into the practical nature of chemistry, but like you, I looked for more things to do outside the laboratory and now I am working on a make-shift lab sort of in terms of basic experiments and a hobby.

In the mean time, instead of buying a book, try this site:

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-chemistry

in addition to chemistry, they have a practical physics section if you wanted to do more experiments outside of chemistry. Type it into the search bar and click on the first link.

Null_ said:
I have taken general chem 1&2 and orgo chem 1&2, but I honestly don't know how the chemistry I know relates or is used in anything. I can write page long synthesis and mechanisms, but I don't really know what I'm making, if it's safe, or if it's impossible. I only have one chemistry class left for my degree, and I doubt I'll learn much applicable stuff there.
To be fair... you probably don't know a lot of practical stuff because you've barely taken any chemistry. If you want to know applicable stuff, take more chemistry. Applicable stuff comes from labs and specialized courses like spectroscopy, natural products chemistry, bioinorganic chemistry, enzymed catalyzed reactions, etc.

1. What topics are covered in the chemistry book?

The book covers a wide range of topics in practical and interesting chemistry, including basic concepts like chemical reactions and atomic structure, as well as more advanced topics like organic chemistry and biochemistry.

2. Is the book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and gradually builds up to more complex topics. It also includes helpful explanations and examples to make the material easy to understand.

3. Are there any hands-on experiments in the book?

Yes, the book includes several hands-on experiments that can be done using common household items. These experiments are designed to help readers understand and apply the concepts learned in the book.

4. Does the book include real-world applications of chemistry?

Absolutely. The book not only covers theoretical concepts but also includes real-world applications of chemistry in fields like medicine, food science, and environmental science. This makes the material more relatable and interesting.

5. Are there any interactive elements in the book?

Yes, the book includes interactive elements such as quizzes, puzzles, and activities to engage readers and help them test their understanding of the material. It also includes online resources for further learning and exploration.