How do you find the Impulse Response, h(t)

In summary: The problem is easy after you have done the Laplace transform. In summary, the impulse response is h(t) = dg/dt.
martnll2

Homework Statement

How do i find the impulse response, h(t), given the following?

f(t) = 8t u(t)

y(t) = (-2e^-2t + 8e^-t + 4t - 6) u(t)

Homework Equations

f(t) convolved with y(t) = h(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that you divide out y(t) by 8t to make f(t) = u(t) then take the derivative of the modified y(t) expression, call it g(t) in order to get h(t) but the derivatives look nasty and I don't think it is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about the Laplace transform? What is the relationship between input, output, and the impulse response in that domain?

We didn't cover Laplace yet, that comes next week. Is there an alternate way to solve this?

martnll2 said:
We didn't cover Laplace yet, that comes next week. Is there an alternate way to solve this?

I don't think so. And I think your relevant equation is wrong:

"f(t) convolved with y(t) = h(t)"

It should be f(t) * h(t) = y(t) where * is the convolution operator

RoshanBBQ said:
I don't think so. And I think your relevant equation is wrong:

"f(t) convolved with y(t) = h(t)"

It should be f(t) * h(t) = y(t) where * is the convolution operator

You are correct. I did mess that one up.

martnll2 said:

Homework Statement

How do i find the impulse response, h(t), given the following?

f(t) = 8t u(t)

y(t) = (-2e^-2t + 8e^-t + 4t - 6) u(t)

Homework Equations

f(t) convolved with y(t) = h(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that you divide out y(t) by 8t to make f(t) = u(t) then take the derivative of the modified y(t) expression, call it g(t) in order to get h(t) but the derivatives look nasty and I don't think it is right.

I realize somewhat belatedly that the problem is poorly described. What is f(t)? Is it the system input? It's customary to call the input x(t).

Last edited:
We know δ(t) = du/dt ... I already tried dividing both sides by 8t, and taking the derivative, but it didn't seem to work. Here is my work.

f(t) = 8t u(t)
y(t) = [-2e^(-2t) + 8e^(-t) + 4t -6] u(t)

Is it right to change f(t) = u(t) and y(t) = g (t) = {[-2e^(-2t) + 8e^(-t) + 4t -6] u(t)} / 8t
then h(t) = dg/dt?

I tried this but got unreal coefficients for the impulse term.

The reason I'm showing you this is in an intro course to systems, this should be a plain fact stated in the book (It was in mine, and rude man's comment got my memory jogging). I doubt the problem expected you to derive this, and the real culprit is you most likely not reading your book.

We have (leaving off 8)
[tex] y(t) = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} h(\tau)f(t-\tau)d\tau[/tex]
[tex] y(t) = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} h(\tau)(t-\tau)u(t-\tau)d\tau[/tex]
[tex] y(t) = t\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} h(\tau)u(t-\tau)d\tau-\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} h(\tau)\tau u(t-\tau)d\tau[/tex]
[tex] y(t) = t\int\limits_{-\infty}^{t} h(\tau)d\tau-\int\limits_{-\infty}^{t} h(\tau)\tau d\tau[/tex]
tau is just a dummy variable so these are straight integrations.We know h(t) is zero when t < 0:
[tex] y(t) = t\int\limits_{0}^{t} h(\tau)d\tau-\int\limits_{0}^{t} h(\tau)\tau d\tau[/tex]
But that looks a whole lot like integration by parts of
[tex]\int\limits_{0}^{t}\int\limits_{0}^{t}h(\tau)d \tau d \tau[/tex]

In general, if an excitation is changed to its integral, the response also changes to the integral of the previous response. Since you will be encountering this, I'll go ahead and remind you that you have to use product rule with u(t) being one function and the other stuff being another to find the right answer.

Last edited:
martnll2 said:
We know δ(t) = du/dt ... I already tried dividing both sides by 8t, and taking the derivative, but it didn't seem to work. Here is my work.

f(t) = 8t u(t)
y(t) = [-2e^(-2t) + 8e^(-t) + 4t -6] u(t)

Is it right to change f(t) = u(t) and y(t) = g (t) = {[-2e^(-2t) + 8e^(-t) + 4t -6] u(t)} / 8t
then h(t) = dg/dt?

I tried this but got unreal coefficients for the impulse term.

Theorem:
If y(t) is the reponse to a ramp, then
y'(t) is the response to a step input, and
y''(t) is the response to an impulse input (Dirac delta function).

I can't give you the proof of this since you haven't had the Laplace transform.

The problem is easy after that.

rude man said:
Theorem:
If y(t) is the reponse to a ramp, then
y'(t) is the response to a step input, and
y''(t) is the response to an impulse input (Dirac delta function).

I can't give you the proof of this since you haven't had the Laplace transform.

The problem is easy after that.

You can do it in the time domain.

[tex]y_1(t) = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}h(\tau)f(t-\tau)d\tau[/tex]
[tex]y_2(t) = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}h(\tau)f'(t-\tau)d\tau[/tex]
Just by looking at this, it is clear that y_2(t) is the derivative with respect to time of y_1(t) since f is the only part that depends on time.

RoshanBBQ said:
You can do it in the time domain.

[tex]y_1(t) = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}h(\tau)f(t-\tau)d\tau[/tex]
[tex]y_2(t) = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}h(\tau)f'(t-\tau)d\tau[/tex]
Just by looking at this, it is clear that y_2(t) is the derivative with respect to time of y_1(t) since f is the only part that depends on time.

I know what you say is right - has to be - but the math still eludes me. Never was too comfortable with the t's and tau's in the convolution integral, even when I had to know it.
So thanks for your contribution & the OP should have no more trouble with getting the solution.

I'm still confused. I don't know how you could use these integrals not knowing h(t) since the problem is asking to find h(t).

f(t) is the input signal, y(t) is the output signal. These are both given, and i know that y(t) = [itex]\int h(\tau)f(t-\tau) d\tau[/itex] from -∞ to ∞. I don't know how to use these facts to solve h(t)

Do I just take the derivative with respect to tau on both sides and solve h(t) that way?

martnll2 said:
Do I just take the derivative with respect to tau on both sides and solve h(t) that way?

What RoshanBBQ said in his last post is equivalent to what I said in my last post.

I suggest you look carefully at my last post ... then, if you're not happy with my lack of proof, study RoshanBBQ's last post which essentially proves in the time domain what I would have demonstrated in the frequency domain, except apparently you haven't been exposed to the frequency domain yet.

As I said, I myself get a bit nervous with these convolution integrals. But it's the only way if you insist on a proof and are restricted to the time domain.

martnll2 said:

The ramp is the double integral of the impulse. So the ramp response is the double integral of the impulse response (as I showed in post 8). Differentiate your output twice to find the impulse response (with respect to time). Keep in mind to use product rule with u(t) being one function and (-2e^-2t + 8e^-t + 4t - 6) being another function for the first derivative. You will have to use product rule for the second derivative too. Then divide what you get by eight for the final answer. Finally, you can check yourself by doing the convolution integral with the input to recompute the output.

Are you not reading your textbook?

Last edited:
Yeah... I do read my textbook. I guess this is one of the main reasons I am changing my major; I can't comprehend anything! I need to see the professor tomorrow.

1. What is the Impulse Response, h(t)?

The Impulse Response, h(t), is a mathematical function used to describe the behavior of a system in response to an impulse input. It represents the output of a system when an impulse, or delta function, is applied as an input.

2. How is the Impulse Response, h(t), found?

The Impulse Response, h(t), can be found by applying an impulse input to the system and measuring the resulting output. This output is then used to calculate the mathematical function, h(t), which represents the system's response to an impulse input.

3. What does the Impulse Response, h(t), tell us about a system?

The Impulse Response, h(t), provides information about a system's behavior and characteristics. It can reveal the system's stability, time and frequency response, and overall performance.

4. Why is the Impulse Response, h(t), important in scientific research?

The Impulse Response, h(t), is important in scientific research because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems. It is used in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and acoustics to study and improve the performance of various systems.

5. How can the Impulse Response, h(t), be used in practical applications?

The Impulse Response, h(t), has various practical applications, such as in signal processing to filter noise and improve signal quality, in audio engineering to design audio systems, and in control systems to model and improve the performance of mechanical and electrical systems.