Velocities in inertial and rotating frames of reference

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation relating velocities in inertial and rotating frames of reference, and the question of which frame of reference the position vector, r, is measured in. It is clarified that the equation can be used to find the velocity in the rotating frame, but the magnitude may still need to be rotated. The conversation also references a post with a clear derivation of the equation. Finally, there is a question about the time derivative of a rotation matrix and the correctness of a matrix product.
ryan88
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about velocities in inertial and rotating frames of reference, related by the following equation:

[tex]\mathbf{v_i} \ \stackrel{\mathrm{def}}{=}\ \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} =
\left( \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} \right)_{\mathrm{r}} +
\boldsymbol\Omega \times \mathbf{r} =
\mathbf{v}_{\mathrm{r}} + \boldsymbol\Omega \times \mathbf{r}[/tex]

1. [itex]\mathbf{v_i}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{v_r}[/itex] both state which frame of reference they are measured in, however [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] does not. Is this supposed to be in the inertial or rotating frame of reference?
  2. If I use the equation to find the velocity in the rotating frame, does this mean that the value is represented in the rotating frame of reference? Or is it that the magnitude of that velocity is correct, but it still needs to be rotated to the rotating frame of reference?

Thanks,

Ryan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
After taking a closer look at the post I linked to, I have another question. I thought that the time derivative of a rotation matrix was given by:

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}R}{\mathrm{d}t} = \tilde{\omega}R[/tex]

However, in his post, D H states:

[tex]\mathbf T'_{R\to I} = \mathbf T_{R\to I}\mathbf X(\mathbf \omega)[/tex]

Since matrix products are non commutative, doesn't this make the following incorrect?

[tex]\mathbf q'_I =
\mathbf T_{R\to I}(\mathbf X(\mathbf \omega)\mathbf q_R + \mathbf q'_R)
=
\mathbf T_{R\to I}(\mathbf \omega\times\mathbf q_R + \mathbf q'_R)[/tex]

1. What is an inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is a coordinate system in which a body at rest remains at rest and a body in motion moves in a straight line at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. It is a frame of reference that is not accelerating or rotating.

2. How is velocity measured in an inertial frame of reference?

In an inertial frame of reference, velocity is measured using the principles of classical mechanics. It is calculated as the change in position of an object over time. The unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

3. What is a rotating frame of reference?

A rotating frame of reference is a coordinate system that is rotating or accelerating with respect to an inertial frame of reference. In this frame of reference, objects appear to experience centrifugal and Coriolis forces, which can affect their motion.

4. How do velocities differ between inertial and rotating frames of reference?

In an inertial frame of reference, velocities are measured relative to a fixed point and do not change over time. In a rotating frame of reference, velocities are measured relative to a point that is also rotating or accelerating, resulting in apparent forces that can affect the motion of objects.

5. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to velocities in rotating frames of reference?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of objects in a rotating frame of reference due to the rotation of the frame. This effect is a result of the different velocities of objects at different points in the frame of reference. It can cause objects to follow curved paths, even when no external forces are acting on them.