Humor Books: Intro to Theory, Psychology, Philosophical Perspectives

In summary, the conversation discusses a search for a book on the subject of humor, specifically from a philosophical or psychological perspective. The suggestion of using a Google book search is given, and a book titled "Stop Me If You've Heard This" by Jim Holt is recommended, which provides a history and philosophy of jokes.
Dauden
Is anyone aware of a book that tackles humor as a subject? The best one I could find is humor's role in forming persuasive arguments (http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/academic/product/0,3110,0321434900,00.html).

I'm just looking for one that might tackle it on a philosophical, psychological, or another similar point of view. So far, I haven't found any books like "Intro to Humor" or something. I know there are things being done to research humor (my psychology professor has done research on humor's effect on personality). There has to be some kind of book out there on different aspects of humor or theories of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dauden! :smile:

Have you tried a google book-search …

type "humour" (or "humor" :rolleyes:), then click the "More" drop-down menu in the menu bar, and click "Books". :wink:

I have a little book called 'stop me if you've heard this' (a history and philosophy of jokes) by Jim Holt . Published by Profile books, 3A Exmouth House, Pine st, London.
ISBN 978-1-84668-109-7
Quite short, 130 pages.
Hope this is of some help

1. What makes a book considered a "humor book"?

A book is considered a "humor book" if its primary purpose is to make readers laugh or find amusement through comedic elements, such as jokes, satire, or parody. Generally, humor books have a lighthearted tone and are intended to entertain rather than educate.

2. How do theories explain the role of humor in society?

Theories about humor vary, but some suggest that humor serves as a coping mechanism for dealing with difficult situations or as a way to release tension. Others argue that humor can be a form of social commentary or a way to challenge societal norms. Ultimately, the role of humor in society is complex and can be interpreted in many ways.

3. Can humor be objectively measured?

The measurement of humor is a debated topic among psychologists and philosophers. Some argue that humor is subjective and cannot be measured objectively, while others believe that certain aspects of humor, such as the intensity and frequency of laughter, can be quantified. Overall, the measurement of humor remains a complex and ongoing area of research.

4. What is the relationship between humor and psychological well-being?

Research has shown that humor can have a positive impact on psychological well-being. It can help reduce stress, improve mood, and increase resilience. However, the relationship between humor and psychological well-being is complex and can vary depending on the individual and the context in which humor is used.

5. How does humor impact communication and relationships?

Humor can play a significant role in communication and relationships. It can be used to build rapport, establish a sense of connection, and diffuse conflict. However, humor can also be misinterpreted and cause misunderstandings if not used appropriately. The impact of humor on communication and relationships depends on the intent and delivery of the humor, as well as the dynamics between individuals involved.