Geometric Brownian motion/stock price

• Thread starter Awatarn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary, geometric Brownian motion is a mathematical model used to describe the random movement of a variable over time. It is commonly used in finance to model stock price fluctuations and assumes that stock prices follow a log-normal distribution. The three main factors that affect geometric Brownian motion in stock prices are the drift rate, volatility, and time horizon. It is used in stock market analysis to make predictions and assess risk, but has limitations such as assuming continuous price movements and not accounting for external factors.
Awatarn
I'm tying to solve a stochastic differential equation of stock price. The equation is
[itex]dX = X(\mu dt + \sigma dW)[/itex]
where [itex]\mu, \sigma[/itex] are constants and greater than zero.
It is easy to show analytically that the expectation value to the solution is
[itex]E[X(t)] = E[X(0)] e^{\mu t}[/itex]
Then I solved this equation numerically by standard Euler method to check my analysis.
I found that if [itex]\sigma[/itex] is less than some particular value, my numerical solution is
consistent with the analytical solution which is increasing with time. The problem is
when [itex]\sigma[/itex] is greater some number, the numerical solution tends to go to zero
instead of increasing with time. Note that [itex]\mu[/itex] is the same.
What happens?

I read another book. They told me that if [itex]\mu > \sigma^2/2[/itex] then
[itex]Prob\{X(t \rightarrow \infty )=\infty \} = 1[/itex],
and if [itex]\mu < \sigma^2/2[/itex]
[itex]Prob\{X(t \rightarrow \infty ) = 0 \} = 1[/itex],
where [itex]X(t)[/itex] is the Ito solution.
For the second case, the probabilistic value is not consistent the expectation value, isn't it?
Can you help me about these two different answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
The two different answers that you mentioned come from the fact that the expectation value of a stochastic differential equation is not necessarily equal to the probability of a given outcome. The expectation value is an average of all possible outcomes, while the probability of a given outcome is the likelihood of that outcome occurring. For example, if \mu > \sigma^2/2, then the expectation value of X(t) will increase with time, but there is still a small probability that X(t) will go to zero instead of increasing with time. Similarly, if \mu < \sigma^2/2, then the expectation value of X(t) will decrease with time, but there is still a small probability that X(t) will go to infinity instead of decreasing with time. In summary, the expectation value and the probability of a given outcome in a stochastic differential equation can be different.

What is geometric Brownian motion?

Geometric Brownian motion is a mathematical model that describes the random movement of a variable over time. It is commonly used in finance to model the fluctuations of stock prices.

How is geometric Brownian motion related to stock prices?

Geometric Brownian motion is used to model the unpredictable and random nature of stock prices. It assumes that the stock price follows a log-normal distribution, meaning that the percentage changes in price over time are normally distributed.

What factors affect geometric Brownian motion in stock prices?

The three main factors that affect geometric Brownian motion in stock prices are the drift rate, volatility, and time horizon. The drift rate represents the expected average return of the stock, volatility measures the amount of fluctuation in the stock price, and time horizon is the length of time being considered.

How is geometric Brownian motion used in stock market analysis?

Geometric Brownian motion is used in stock market analysis to make predictions and assess risk. By using historical data and inputting different values for drift rate, volatility, and time horizon, analysts can simulate different scenarios and make informed decisions about investments.

What are the limitations of using geometric Brownian motion to model stock prices?

One limitation of geometric Brownian motion is that it assumes the stock price movements are continuous and do not have jumps or discontinuities. It also does not account for external factors such as news events or changes in market sentiment, which can significantly impact stock prices.