How to calculate the transition rate

In summary, to find the transition rate in this scenario, you must take the derivative of the transition amplitude with respect to time. To simplify the task, you can use the identities of exponential expansion and the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian. This will allow you to easily calculate the transition rate.
Nastenka

Homework Statement

I have the usual equation for the transition amplitude:
A=< k|exp(-iHt)| j>,while my Hamiltonian in Dirac notation looks like:

H=\sum E_a|a><a|+\sum_b (E_b|b><b|+V_1|0><b|+ V_2|b><0|)

In order to find the transition rate I should take a derivative as:
dA/dt, so that I will get something like:

A=< k|-iH*exp(-iHt)| j>
2. Relevant questions

Now, my question is:

how to treat it further?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I should expand it with series for the exponent, but then I obtain in the middle this:
-iH(1+H)=-iH-iH2 that confuses me. I feel I am stucked in such an easy task. But the proble is that I cannot expand it with eigenvalues and eigenvectors which would simplify a lot my task...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It seems like you are on the right track in expanding the exponent in series. As you mentioned, this will simplify the task by allowing you to use the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian.

To continue, you can use the following identities:

1. exp(A+B) = exp(A)exp(B) (assuming A and B commute)
2. exp(A) = I + A + A^2/2! + A^3/3! + ...

Using these identities, you can expand the exponent in your transition amplitude equation and then use the eigenvalues and eigenvectors to simplify the terms. This will allow you to take the derivative with respect to time and obtain the transition rate.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the transition rate and why is it important?

The transition rate is a measure of how quickly a system moves from one state to another. It is important because it can help us understand the dynamics and behavior of a system and make predictions about its future state.

2. How do you calculate the transition rate?

The transition rate can be calculated by dividing the number of transitions (changes in state) by the total time observed. This can be expressed as a rate per unit time, such as transitions per second or transitions per minute.

3. What factors influence the transition rate?

The transition rate can be influenced by various factors such as the energy of the system, external forces, and the presence of barriers or obstacles. Additionally, the initial and final states of the system and the potential energy landscape can also affect the transition rate.

4. Can the transition rate be measured experimentally?

Yes, the transition rate can be measured experimentally by observing the system and recording the number of transitions that occur within a specified time period. This can be done using techniques such as spectroscopy, microscopy, or other types of measurements.

5. How can the transition rate be used in practical applications?

The transition rate can be used in various practical applications, such as in chemical reactions, biological processes, and technological advancements. Understanding the transition rate can help in the development of more efficient and effective processes, as well as in predicting and controlling the behavior of complex systems.