Book on Probability: Learn from Elementary to Advanced

In summary, the conversation is about a person requesting a recommendation for a book on probability. They mention that they have a basic understanding of probability measures and set theory, and are currently reading Tao's measure theory. The recommendation given is William Feller's "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications", which is a classic book in the field. It is recommended for its intuitive approach and interesting exercises, with Volume I covering discrete probability and Volume II covering infinite sample spaces and measure theory.
MIB
Please , I want you to recommend me to a book on probability , I a have never read a probability book , or have a good background , I only Know what are probability measures , some theorems concerning it . I want a book that take me from the elementary probability , to advanced probability (which depend on Measure theory ) . I know some set theory , the basic axiomatic system of ZFC , Ordinals , Cardinals , Large Cardinals , operations on ordinals and cardinals ( including the infinite sum and product of cardinals) , some of Ramsey's theorems ... etc . I am reading in Tao's measure theory . I want the book to be as abstract as possible and to have an interesting introduction .

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The classic is William Feller, in 2 volumes.

Hello MIB.
I second the recommendation of PAllen.

Feller's book is a very recommendable book.
Volume I starts from a very intuitive conception of probability and then it goes on, from the very elementary concepts until more deep ones.
And always with a lot of very interesting exercises.
It is a classical of probability theory, and maybe one of the best books in order to build your "intuitive knowledge basis" about the matter. And for me, it is, too, a pleasure to read it.

Volume I deals with discrete probability, but don't let this to misslead you. As I said, it builds up the basis of probability concepts.

Volume II deals with infinite sample spaces, measure theory and so on. It widely extents the concepts introduced in Vol.I to the continuum case. This volume is as illuminating as the first one, but its reading is not as easy.

The complete references are:

William Feller, "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications", Vol I, 3rd.Ed.

William Feller, "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications", Vol II, 2nd.Ed.

1. What is the level of difficulty of "Book on Probability: Learn from Elementary to Advanced"?

The book covers topics from elementary to advanced level, making it suitable for both beginners and those with a strong background in probability.

2. Does the book include real-life examples and applications of probability?

Yes, the book includes numerous real-life examples and applications of probability, making the concepts more relatable and easier to understand.

3. Are there practice problems and exercises included in the book?

Yes, the book includes a variety of practice problems and exercises at the end of each chapter to help readers solidify their understanding of the concepts.

4. Does the book cover both theoretical and practical aspects of probability?

Yes, the book covers both theoretical and practical aspects of probability, providing a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

5. Is the book suitable for self-study or is it meant for classroom use?

The book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for individuals to learn on their own, but it can also be used as a textbook in a classroom setting.