Relations between compactness and connectedness

• Thread starter soTo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, a compact manifold is one that is connected and also has a surjective continuous map from [0,1] to the manifold.
soTo
Hello there,

This might be probably a simple question, but my wondering was:

Is there any relation between the compactness and the connectedness of a topological space?

Let us consider the specific example (of interest for me) of a subdomain D of a 3D Riemannian manifold.

i) If D is compact, can I say that it is necessarily connected?

ii) If D is simply-connected, can I say that it is compact?

iii) If D is multi-connected, can I say that it is compact?

If one or another answer to these questions is negative, can you please provide me with an example?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
soTo said:
Hello there,

This might be probably a simple question, but my wondering was:

Is there any relation between the compactness and the connectedness of a topological space?

Let us consider the specific example (of interest for me) of a subdomain D of a 3D Riemannian manifold.

i) If D is compact, can I say that it is necessarily connected?
Let D be the ball of radius 1 with center at (-1, 0, 0) union the ball with radius 1 and center at (1, 0, 0) in R3. That set is compact but not connected.

ii) If D is simply-connected, can I say that it is compact?
The line, R1 is simply connected but not compact.

iii) If D is multi-connected, can I say that it is compact?
I don't know what you mean by "multi- connected"- has multiple components?
If so, the union of [itex][1, \infty)[/itex] and [itex](-\infty, -1][/itex] has two components but is not compact. The set of all integers, as a subset of the real line, has an infinite number of components but is not compact.

If one or another answer to these questions is negative, can you please provide me with an example?

Regards
The answer to all of those questions is negative. I really have no idea why you would think that "connected" and "compact" are related. They both start with "c" is about as close as you will get!

Thanks a lot for your answer and your examples HallsofIvy!

i'm going to go out on a limb here and maybe say something false, in an attempt to show that the three concepts are quite different.

1) a manifold M is connected if every continuous map from {0,1}-->M extends to a continuous map [0,1]-->M.

2) a manifold M is simply connected if every continuous map circle-->M

extends to a continuous map disc-->M.

3) a manifold M is compact if there is a surjective continuous map [0,1]-->M.

so you see these three properties are pretty dissimilar.

Dear [Name],

Thank you for your question regarding the relations between compactness and connectedness in a topological space, specifically in the context of a subdomain D of a 3D Riemannian manifold. These concepts are fundamental in topology and understanding their relationship is important for many applications in mathematics and science.

To answer your first question, yes, if a topological space is compact, then it is necessarily connected. This is a well-known result in topology known as the "Heine-Borel theorem". Essentially, compactness implies that every open cover of the space has a finite subcover, and this finite subcover must cover the entire space, thus making it connected.

However, the reverse is not always true. A connected topological space may not necessarily be compact. For your second and third questions, if a topological space is simply-connected or multi-connected, it does not necessarily mean that it is compact. A simple counterexample for this is the open unit disk in the complex plane. It is simply-connected and multi-connected, but it is not compact.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

1. What is the definition of compactness?

Compactness refers to the property of a topological space where every open cover has a finite subcover. In simpler terms, it means that a space is compact if it can be covered by a finite number of open sets.

2. How does compactness relate to connectedness?

Compactness and connectedness are two distinct properties of a topological space. A space can be compact without being connected, and vice versa. However, there is a relationship between the two - a connected space is always compact, but a compact space is not necessarily connected.

3. Can a non-compact space be connected?

Yes, a non-compact space can be connected. Compactness and connectedness are independent properties, so a space can have one without the other. For example, the real line is connected but not compact.

4. How does the Heine-Borel theorem relate to compactness and connectedness?

The Heine-Borel theorem states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This theorem is closely related to compactness and connectedness because a closed and bounded subset of Euclidean space is also connected.

5. How are compactness and connectedness used in mathematics?

Compactness and connectedness are important concepts in mathematics, particularly in topology and analysis. They are used to define and classify different types of topological spaces, and they play a crucial role in the study of continuous functions and convergence of sequences. They also have applications in diverse areas such as physics, computer science, and economics.