Calculating height achieved under changing gravitional field

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to find the gravitational acceleration and the height of a projectile as a function of time. However, the speaker's reasoning and approach is not correct and they are seeking clarification.
relativitydude
For some reason, this is alluding me at the moment. We know the gravitational acceleration equation is g = GM/r^2, integrate that in respect to r to yield -GM/r

I thought I could use

?Y = VoT + .5AT^2

and subsitute GM(-1/Ro + 1/R) into A

For some reason this is not working, is my line of reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
relativitydude said:
We know the gravitational acceleration equation is g = GM/r^2, integrate that in respect to r to yield -GM/r
Not exactly:
[tex]g = dv/dt = - GM/r^2[/tex]
[tex]v dv/dr = - GM/r^2[/tex]
Now you can integrate with respect to r:
[tex]v^2/2 = GM/r + C[/tex]

I thought I could use

?Y = VoT + .5AT^2
That's only good for uniformly accelerated motion.
For some reason this is not working, is my line of reasoning correct?
No. What problem are you trying to solve? The height of a projectile as a function of time? That's not so simple.

Thank you very much! :)

1. How does changing gravitational field affect height calculations?

Changing gravitational field can greatly affect height calculations as the force of gravity determines how quickly an object will accelerate towards the ground. This means that in a stronger gravitational field, an object will fall faster and therefore reach a greater height in a given amount of time.

2. What is the formula for calculating height achieved under changing gravitational field?

The formula for calculating height achieved under changing gravitational field is h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

3. How do you account for changing gravitational field in the calculation?

To account for changing gravitational field, you will need to know the value of the acceleration due to gravity at the different locations or points in time. This value can vary depending on the mass and distance of the objects involved.

4. Can the height calculation be affected by other factors besides changing gravitational field?

Yes, the height calculation can also be affected by air resistance, initial velocity, and other external forces acting on the object. These factors should also be taken into account when calculating height achieved under changing gravitational field.

5. How can height calculations under changing gravitational field be applied in real life?

Height calculations under changing gravitational field can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum height a rocket can reach, or the height of a satellite orbiting around a planet with varying gravitational fields.