Question about isomorphic direct products of groups and isomorphic factors.

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the isomorphism of G and G' implies the isomorphism of F and F'. The first isomorphism theorem is suggested as a possible proof, but a counterexample is found using the example of R and RxR. The conversation also mentions that the statement is false in general, and provides a different example using an infinite direct product of factors of Z.
IvanT

Homework Statement

Suppose G and F are groups and GxF is isomorphic to G'xF', if G is isomorphic to G', can we conclude that F is isomorphic to F'?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to give a proof using the first isomorphism theorem (using that GxF/Gx(e) is isomorphic to F, and that G'xF'/G'x(e) is isomorphic to F'), but I can't find an isomorphism between the quotients. I also can't find a counter example of the statement, so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you know that [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] are isomorphic as groups?? Try to prove this.

micromass said:
Did you know that [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] are isomorphic as groups?? Try to prove this.

I didn't know that, thanks a lot that solves my problem.

The statement of the problem is false then. Because if RxR is isomorphic to R, then it's also isomorphic to Rx(e), and the statement of the problem would imply that R is isomorphic to the trivial group, which is false.

IvanT said:
I didn't know that, thanks a lot that solves my problem.

The statement of the problem is false then. Because if RxR is isomorphic to R, then it's also isomorphic to Rx(e), and the statement of the problem would imply that R is isomorphic to the trivial group, which is false.

Yeah, but I think you still need to prove that [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. This is not trivial.

micromass said:
Yeah, but I think you still need to prove that [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. This is not trivial.

Yeah, I still need to prove that, but at least I know that the initial statement is wrong.

IvanT said:
Yeah, I still need to prove that, but at least I know that the initial statement is wrong.

If you want an example that's a little more manageable then the R^2, R thing, try taking G to be an infinite direct product of factors of Z (the integers). Or any other group you like.

Dick said:
If you want an example that's a little more manageable then the R^2, R thing, try taking G to be an infinite direct product of factors of Z (the integers). Or any other group you like.

That one is actually a really nice counterexample, since it generalizes to other fields of mathematics as well. A similar example works in topology, for example. The [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] thing does not.

micromass said:
That one is actually a really nice counterexample, since it generalizes to other fields of mathematics as well. A similar example works in topology, for example. The [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] thing does not.

And you can actually write down what the isomorphism is explicitly.

Dick said:

Thanks a lot, that works.

What is an isomorphic direct product of groups?

An isomorphic direct product of groups is a way of combining two or more groups in such a way that the resulting group contains all the elements of each group and follows the same rules for combining elements. This allows for the comparison and analysis of different groups by showing their structural similarities.

How can we determine if two groups are isomorphic direct products of each other?

Two groups are isomorphic direct products of each other if they have the same number of elements and the same algebraic structure. This means that there exists a one-to-one mapping between the elements of one group and the elements of the other group, and the group operations are preserved under this mapping.

What are isomorphic factors in a direct product?

Isomorphic factors in a direct product refer to the individual groups that make up the direct product. They are isomorphic to the original groups and can be seen as building blocks for the larger direct product group.

Can a group be isomorphic to itself?

Yes, a group can be isomorphic to itself. This is known as an identity isomorphism, where the group is mapped onto itself using the identity function. In this case, the group is considered to be isomorphic to a direct product of itself.

What are some real-world applications of isomorphic direct products of groups?

Isomorphic direct products of groups have applications in various fields such as computer science, chemistry, and physics. In computer science, they are used to study the structure of different algorithms and data structures. In chemistry, they are used to analyze the symmetry and properties of molecules. In physics, they are used to understand the symmetries and conservation laws in physical systems.