Torque Sum with applied torque off axis

In summary, torque sum with applied torque off axis is a concept in physics that calculates the total torque on an object when an additional torque is applied at an angle to the axis of rotation. It is important in predicting rotational motion and stability. It can be calculated by considering the magnitude, direction, and distance of the applied torque. If the applied torque is off axis, it will create an unbalanced torque and the object will not be in rotational equilibrium. Torque sum with applied torque off axis can be negative, indicating a rotation in the opposite direction.
Xevuhtess7
I think I'm missing something really simple here due to being out of school for a while:

In a free body diagram, if I am trying to take the sum of torques about point 1, how should I deal with an applied torque at point 2? See attached sketch

Attachments

• torquesum.png
    torquesum.png
    325 bytes · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Xevuhtess7! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Do you mean a couple, a pair of equal and oposite forces?

The the torque is the same about any point. :wink:

1. What is torque sum with applied torque off axis?

Torque sum with applied torque off axis is a concept in physics that refers to the total torque acting on an object when an additional torque is applied at an angle to the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque sum with applied torque off axis calculated?

The torque sum with applied torque off axis is calculated by taking into account the magnitude and direction of the applied torque, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the torque is applied.

3. What is the importance of torque sum with applied torque off axis?

Torque sum with applied torque off axis is important because it helps us understand the net torque acting on an object, which is crucial in predicting its rotational motion and stability.

4. How does torque sum with applied torque off axis affect rotational equilibrium?

If the applied torque is applied off axis, it will create an unbalanced torque on the object, causing it to rotate. This means that the object will not be in rotational equilibrium.

5. Can torque sum with applied torque off axis be negative?

Yes, torque sum with applied torque off axis can be negative. This indicates that the applied torque is acting in the opposite direction of the net torque, causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction.