Dark energy from gravity waves?

In summary, there is a new paper on the arxiv suggesting that gravitational waves could potentially explain dark energy and the "axis of evil" anomalies in the WMAP data. This idea was previously dismissed but now that the anomalies have been confirmed by higher resolution data from Planck, it may be worth revisiting. However, there are still questions about how this theory accounts for the homogenous and isotropic expansion of the universe, particularly with regards to the distribution of black holes.
skydivephil
A new paper appeared on the arxiv today suggesting this possibility:
http://uk.arxiv.org/abs/1305.0498
I would not have paid too much attention apart from the fact that when this was suggested a while back it was said it might explain some of the WMAp anomalies:

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/425513/gravitational-waves-can-explain-dark-energy-and-axis-of-evil-says-cosmologist/

I think at the time most people didnt think these anomalies would surivie the higher reolsution of Planck, but now they have is it worth revisitng this idea?
What would it mean for the equation of state, shoudl we expect w to change over time as blakc holes evaporate in the far future?

Space news on Phys.org
Interesting article I'm not sure how much weight to place on it but it will be an interesting read. The one question I would ask is how can gravitational waves be used to explain the Homogenous and isotropic expansion? I would think it would lead to a more inhomogeneous expansion

My guess would be black holes are distributed in a homogenous and isotropic manner as galaxies are.

After reading the article I could not determine how they cover a homogeneous and isotropic distribution. Even if super massive BH's are evenly distributed, the waves from each BH would interact with each other. That alone would lead to an uneven distribution of "dark energy". The 4-d Branes and 5-d branes also don't particularly explain that. Not that I particularly understand Brane models.

I find this new paper and its suggestion of dark energy from gravity waves to be intriguing and worth considering. The idea that gravitational waves could explain some of the anomalies seen in the WMAP data is certainly worth revisiting, especially now that the Planck data has confirmed these anomalies.

If this hypothesis is true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of dark energy and the equation of state. The equation of state, which describes the relationship between the pressure and energy density of a substance, is a crucial factor in understanding the behavior of dark energy. If dark energy is indeed caused by gravity waves, we would expect the equation of state to change over time as black holes evaporate in the far future. This would have important consequences for our understanding of the expansion of the universe and the fate of the universe.

However, it is important to note that this is just a hypothesis at this point and more research and evidence is needed to confirm or refute it. As scientists, it is our duty to continuously revisit and reevaluate ideas and theories as new evidence and data becomes available. I believe that this new paper and the possibility of dark energy from gravity waves is worth further investigation and could potentially lead to a better understanding of the mysterious force driving the expansion of our universe.

1. What is dark energy and how is it related to gravity waves?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to permeate all of space and is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. Gravity waves, on the other hand, are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are created by the acceleration or movement of massive objects. While there is currently no direct evidence linking dark energy to gravity waves, some theories suggest that dark energy may be a manifestation of gravity waves at the quantum level.

2. How do gravity waves provide evidence for the existence of dark energy?

Gravity waves can provide indirect evidence for the existence of dark energy through their effects on the expansion of the universe. By observing the distortion of space-time caused by these waves, scientists can measure the rate of expansion and determine if it is consistent with the predicted effects of dark energy. Additionally, the discovery of gravity waves in 2015 provided further support for Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is the basis for our understanding of gravity and its role in the universe.

3. Can we detect dark energy directly through gravity waves?

Currently, we do not have the technology to detect dark energy directly through gravity waves. The effects of dark energy are thought to be very small and would require extremely sensitive instruments to detect. However, advancements in technology and future experiments such as the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA) may provide new opportunities for directly detecting dark energy through gravity waves.

4. How does dark energy from gravity waves affect the expansion of the universe?

According to current theories, dark energy is thought to be a repulsive force that counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. Gravity waves, which are produced by massive objects, can also contribute to the expansion of the universe by generating additional space-time, thus further accelerating the expansion. However, the exact relationship between dark energy and gravity waves is still not fully understood and is an area of ongoing research.

5. What are the implications of understanding dark energy from gravity waves?

If we are able to better understand the relationship between dark energy and gravity waves, it could have profound implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in our ability to detect and study gravity waves, providing us with a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins.