I've finally accept that the universe is unimaginable

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the vastness and complexities of the universe, including topics such as the size of the universe, the speed of light, and the energy produced by universal explosions. It also touches on the difficulty in comprehending these concepts and the hope for future understanding through advancements in science. The conversation ends with a mention of the Flynn Effect, which suggests an increase in human IQ over time.
MathJakob
Everyday I sit and think about the universe, and after some thinking I always end up letting my imagination run wild with what could be out there, what space is and is there a creator ect.

Then it's like getting smashed in the face with a wake up call... I can't possibly imagine anything in the universe.

The size of the universe is literally unimaginable, our brains can not comprehend the distances.
The size of objects is unimaginable, even our own sun is extremely hard to visualise and that's absolutely tiny on the grand scale of things.
The speed of light is impossible to imagine, traveling around the Earth 7 times per second.
The enormous energy produced by universal explosions such as supernovae, which is equivalent to about 10 octillion megatons of TNT.

And finally the most brain crushing question of them all, this is where I'm hoping I can get some help. Does anyone find it absolutely impossible to grasp the concept of something (energy) having always existed, the "stuff" that created that tiny piece of infinitely dense matter that turnt into the big bang.

Sometimes I think it's like a mouse trying to figure out the workings of a jet engine. It's just impossible! Although a caveman trying to figure out the workings of a jet engine would have been impossible too so hopefully if humans live long enough and our understanding becomes greater it may not be too difficult to not only visualise this stuff but actually grasp it.

There should be a word specifically created for describing how ridiculously massive the universe is. Maybe that word is universe... come to think of it xD

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
You are correct these things are way beyond our experience and we can't really imagine them. But , we shoudlnt neglect the amazing progress that has been made, that we know how mass of the sun compared to the Earth, the size of the observable universe etc. is pretty amazing.
We don't the eneggy density of the universe at t=0 was infinite. That prediciton from applying general relativity to a regime where quanutm mechnical effects should dominate. Proposed theories of quanutm gravity do not predict infinite desnity.

I saw an article that claims human IQ is increasing...so maybe there is more hope than you think! If we can unite GR and QM via a theory of quantum gravity some the issues of concern will begin to be understood.

"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road":smile:

Physics is fun at any stage of comprehension, just enjoy the process. The angst of not knowing some of the answers is all part of it, it works to keep you motivated. Take a lesson from our old friend Feynman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1RqTP5Unr4

Last edited:
MathJakob said:
Everyday I sit and think about the universe, and after some thinking I always end up letting my imagination run wild with what could be out there, what space is and is there a creator ect.

Then it's like getting smashed in the face with a wake up call... I can't possibly imagine anything in the universe.

The size of the universe is literally unimaginable, our brains can not comprehend the distances.
The size of objects is unimaginable, even our own sun is extremely hard to visualise and that's absolutely tiny on the grand scale of things.
The speed of light is impossible to imagine, traveling around the Earth 7 times per second.
The enormous energy produced by universal explosions such as supernovae, which is equivalent to about 10 octillion megatons of TNT.

And finally the most brain crushing question of them all, this is where I'm hoping I can get some help. Does anyone find it absolutely impossible to grasp the concept of something (energy) having always existed, the "stuff" that created that tiny piece of infinitely dense matter that turnt into the big bang.

Sometimes I think it's like a mouse trying to figure out the workings of a jet engine. It's just impossible! Although a caveman trying to figure out the workings of a jet engine would have been impossible too so hopefully if humans live long enough and our understanding becomes greater it may not be too difficult to not only visualise this stuff but actually grasp it.

There should be a word specifically created for describing how ridiculously massive the universe is. Maybe that word is universe... come to think of it xD

Shut up and calculate:redface:

DiracPool said:
Shut up and calculate:redface:

Bell John - Speakable And Unspeakable In Quantum Mechanics

http://www.futuretg.com/FTHumanEvolutionCourse/FTFreeLearningKits/03-PH-Physics,%20Chemistry%20and%20Free%20Energy/040-PH04-UN02-03-Quantum%20Mechanics/J.%20S.%20Bell%20-%20Speakable%20And%20Unspeakable%20In%20Quantum%20Mechanics.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Naty1 said:
I saw an article that claims human IQ is increasing..

The Flynn Effect.

1. What does it mean to accept that the universe is unimaginable?

Accepting that the universe is unimaginable means acknowledging that the vastness and complexity of the universe is beyond human comprehension. It means understanding that there are aspects of the universe that we may never fully understand or be able to imagine.

2. Why is it important to accept that the universe is unimaginable?

Accepting the unimaginable nature of the universe can help us to be more open-minded and curious about the unknown. It can also lead to a greater appreciation and sense of wonder for the universe and our place within it.

3. Does accepting that the universe is unimaginable mean that science has its limits?

No, accepting the unimaginable nature of the universe does not mean that science has its limits. In fact, it can motivate scientists to continue exploring and discovering more about the universe, even if there are aspects that may be beyond our current understanding.

4. How does accepting the unimaginable nature of the universe impact our understanding of reality?

Accepting the unimaginable nature of the universe can challenge our perception of reality and expand our understanding of the world around us. It can also lead to new scientific discoveries and advancements as we push the boundaries of our understanding.

5. Can we ever fully understand the universe?

It is unlikely that we will ever be able to fully understand the universe, as it is constantly expanding and evolving. However, by accepting the unimaginable nature of the universe, we can continue to learn and discover more about it, pushing the boundaries of our knowledge and understanding.