How Do Torque and RPM Relate to Lifting Weights in Mechanical Systems?

In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to run a water pump using counter weights. The problem is that gravity is quite weak and the counter weights will need to be lifted using air rams.
Overmyhead!
Just wondering if someone can help explain how to go about figuring out this paper. Thanks!

Attachments

• up right.jpg
    up right.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, the units of torque are ft-lbs not just lbs.

Another thing, it would be much appreciated if the image were presented in the normal orientation, so helpers don't have to break a neck trying to read it.

Your diagram is not clear. Are the weights just suspended from the sprockets?

Some explanation of what the diagram represents and what you are trying to do with the shaft would go a long way to avoid needless confusion. Why does the shaft have to turn 3600 rpm? What's the deal with the sprockets on the right?

So what this person wants me to build is a way to run a water pump using counter weights. As the weight falls it turns the pump. The pump has a working torque load of 36 ft lbs @ 3600 rpm. I don't even know if this is possible so any help would be awesome.

Is it feasible? Well that depends...

Forgive me if i switch to metric/SI but...

36ftlbs is 49Nm.
3600 rpm is 377 rads/s

So the power required is 49 * 377 = 18.5kW

A human can generate around 200-300W (eg cycling) so you would need about 90 people working flat out raising the counterweights.

Not allowing for any rest time or losses in the mechanisim.

EDIT: or perhaps one person working flat out for 90 hours raising counterweights so that the pump can run for one hour. Lots of ways to look at it. I suspect it might be more efficient for people to raise the water directly rather than use counter weights.

Last edited:
CWatters said:
Is it feasible? Well that depends...

Forgive me if i switch to metric/SI but...

36ftlbs is 49Nm.
3600 rpm is 377 rads/s

So the power required is 49 * 377 = 18.5kW

A human can generate around 200-300W (eg cycling) so you would need about 90 people working flat out raising the counterweights.

Not allowing for any rest time or losses in the mechanisim.

EDIT: or perhaps one person working flat out for 90 hours raising counterweights so that the pump can run for one hour. Lots of ways to look at it. I suspect it might be more efficient for people to raise the water directly rather than use counter weights.

OK so there will be a continuos duty air compressor at the site so I was thinking of using long travel air rams to lift the weights and then using limit switches attached to solenoid's for engagement and disengagement. So continuos duty won't be an issue.

The problem is that gravity is quite weak.

18.5kW = 18500 J/S

Lets say your rams have a 1m travel. They would need to lift 1800kg, 1m in 1 second, then while that weight is falling back down (also in 1 second) and driving the pump they have 1 second to lift another 1800kg.

So in short...
1800kg 1m every second or
1800kg 2m every 2 seconds or
3600kg 1m every 2 seconds or
or any similar combination that meets..

mass * height * g/time = 18500

not counting losses in any mechanisim.

Clearly if you only want the pump to run part time you have longer to store energy in raising counter weights.

But this is all crazy. Why store energy by raising counter weights? Why not do what most people do and store energy by raising the water itself eg build a water tower. Use the compressor to drive rams (or whatever) to raise the water up the tower. It's pointless adding complexity and inefficiency with a two stage process.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is usually measured in units of Newton meters (Nm) or foot pounds (ft-lb) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the center of rotation.

2. How is torque related to rpm?

Torque and rpm (revolutions per minute) are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as rpm increases, torque decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: Torque = Power / (2 * pi * rpm).

3. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force acting on an object and the distance from the center of rotation. The equation for torque is: Torque = Force x Distance. The force can be measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs) and the distance can be measured in meters (m) or feet (ft).

4. How does torque affect the speed of rotation?

The greater the torque applied to an object, the faster it will rotate. This is because torque is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. However, other factors such as the mass and shape of the object also play a role in determining the speed of rotation.

5. How do I convert between different units of torque and rpm?

To convert between different units of torque, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from Nm to ft-lb, multiply the value in Nm by 0.7376. To convert between different units of rpm, you can use the equation: rpm = 60 x frequency, where frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz).